Being Less Of.

Do you ever get looked over? Or have people think less of you? Usually being bullied leads to suicide. In today’s society many are being bullied or thought less of because of their past or who they are. This leads to many things such as depression and or spiritual and physical suicide. People target those who are less of them, less stronger, and more shorter.

In ¨Lord of The Flies¨ by William Golding, a group of kids on a plane crash land on an island. Trying to be organized yet still have fun, being bullied or looked over occurs throughout the novel many times. While trying to figure out every boys name that was on the island, a character named Piggy was unexpectedly made fun of. ¨You’re talking too much,¨ said Jack Merridew. Shut up fatty¨ Laughter arose. He’s not a fatty,¨cried Ralph ¨His real name’s Piggy! Piggy! Piggy! Oh Piggy!¨ (25). As being made fun of because of his weight Piggy only wanted to establish order and make friends. Instead he got made fun of because of his weight.        

Also in the novel, Piggy the victim that's being bullied or shown not respected is being told that he did nothing. Jack just tells him that he did nothing and just sat down waiting. ¨We haven't made a fire,¨ he said, ¨What's any use. We couldn't keep a fire even if we tried.¨ Piggy said this with the response of Jack saying. ¨A fat lot of you tried,¨ said Jack contemptuously. ¨You just sat.¨ We used his specs.¨ Said Simon.¨(42) In the novel this particular scene is very interesting because instead of trying harder to make a fire all Jack does is complain that Piggy did nothing yet they used his glasses to try and start something. Also Jack wants to make it seem like Piggy has a lack of effort, he isn’t trying to get off the island or try and help.      

The scenes in the novel also correlates to the real world. Being bullied usually comes from someone's past, how they look, or the way they act, or even their interests. Also being bullied leads to more things that is not good for a healthy lifestyle. It leads to more low self-esteem. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year.  

Josh was bullied at the age of 11 years old. He was excited to start middle school for the first time. He did not want to stay home instead, he wanted to go to school more often. Soon he was bullied, coming home with injuries almost everywhere on nis body. After recess he would find notes on his back saying ¨kick me¨ or ¨loser¨. Everyday in lunch he would get food pelted at him, soon enough he would sit in the hallway instead of the cafeteria. On the third week of school, he went home with a broken foot, soon after he went back the kids told him, ¨When that one heals, I’m gonna break the other one.”

In Conclusion, being treated as trash is not a good thing. Being bullied leads to more unhealthy lifestyles. Some get bullied because of how they look, what they wear, how they act, and more. Usually telling adults does not help, they respond with, ¨Just ignore it¨ but you cant ignore something that's hurting you. In the novel, Piggy soon enough steps up for himself. Josh stood up for himself, he punched his bully in the back of the head. People target those who are less of them, less stronger, and more shorter.

Work Cited:

Modifica, Lisa. “Josh's Story: Getting Bullied at School.” Parenting, 21 June 2016, www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/combatting-bullying-or-is-this-just-the-new-normal/.

“What Are the Causes of Bullying.” NoBullying - Bullying & CyberBullying Resources, 18 Apr. 2017, nobullying.com/what-are-the-causes-of-bullying/.

Koule Doucoure (Student 2020)
Koule Doucoure

I learned a lot from your essay, it was not that much to read. I can relate to your story because in 2 years was ben bullied. I love your conclusion so much because you really talk about what people can't handle. i think the behavior can handle when you just ignore it and hold the pain in you because that works best for me

Madelyn Malloy (Student 2020)
Madelyn Malloy

I learned that people are very judgemental and think that it's okay to pick on someone that doesn't meet society's standards. This behavior could be changed if we took in to consideration of what comes out of our mouths.

Samera Baksh (Student 2020)
Samera Baksh

I learned that bullying is a very big and that it can cause kids to take their own lives. This behavior could be avoided by supporting the kids that are getting bullied. Also by having adults look after and talk to the kids that are getting bullied. Another why to avoid this is by being kind and caring to each other.

Kishara Erwin (Student 2020)
Kishara Erwin

I learned that people look over each other a lot. I never realized that so many people are looked over for nothing. Also that bullying is the reason kids take their own lives. They can only handle so much and they aren't offered help. This behavior could be avoided by more bystanders and having support groups for bullying. Or the society can start encouraging each other. Instead of being bullied or being looked over.