Benchmark Journals

Journal #1

Act 5, Scene 1

Original Text:

(aside) I have rubbed this young quat almost to the sense,

And he grows angry. Now, whether he kill Cassio

Or Cassio him, or each do kill the other,

Every way makes my gain. Live Roderigo,

He calls me to a restitution large

Of gold and jewels that I bobbed from him

As gifts to Desdemona.

It must not be. If Cassio do remain

He hath a daily beauty in his life

That makes me ugly. And besides, the Moor

May unfold me to him—there stand I in much peril.

No, he must die. But so, I hear him coming.

In this scene Iago and Roderigo enter the scene. Iago starts to talk about how he's going to commit something that he won't regret. In the stanza above Iago said "Now, whether he kill Cassio Or Cassio him, or each do kill the other, Every way makes my gain.", ; he was basically meaning that he would be happy if either of them die because in his future they will no longer be able to exist. In this short meaningful stanza Iago gives of a couple of hints of who he could be talking to. In the beginning of him talking he starts to talk to himself, but then at short periods he tends to look up and or glance at his surroundings such as Roderigo. The punctuation affects me as the reader because it shows how he feels about the situation happening. While Iago is talking and Roderigo stands near, but not so much close by to hear his full conversation Iago's ego and voice determines that he is serious about killing Cassio. For Iago to describe the situation if it goes wrong shows that he wants to do right and get rid of someone , accurately Cassio at this point; if he messes up, then his life is in danger and it'll cause Othello to have more problems to worry about, since he won't have his right man to take out duties for him.

Journal #2

Brabantio (Desdemona's father)

Important scenes:

Act 1, Scene 2: accuses Othello of using magic against his daughter to gain love

Act 1, Scene 3: he brings Othello to trial before the Duke

Act 5, Scene 2: died of grief after losing his daughter.

Personally Brabantio see's that Othello is a man who is taking his daughter out of her young teen days into her woman days. Brabantio thinks at first that Othello is not the best person fit out for Othello, even though they're close and have done work together.On the second hand Brabantio seems to start to like Othello because he makes his daughter happy then she normally is. Brabantion, then gets close  to Othello to call him his son and his brother labeled him as their nephew. For Othello that was a big honor to feel welcomed by your wife's father who despite you for the person you are (the moor of Venice). From my perspective I think you can understand Brabantio especially from his appearances in scenes because in all the scenes that he's in something major happens. For example, in the last scene he appeared in, Act, 5, Scene 2 he died from the sadness from the death of his only child, Desdemona. Other scenes that Brabantio involves in has to do with Othello and his relationship to Desdemona or to the Duke's of Venice to try to make sure the marriage is positive of no problems.

Journal #3

Character- Iago

Reason- Anger/ Misunderstanding

Effect Scene: Iago's "I hate the moor speech" towards Othello that shows how much Iago despise and truly feel for Othello.

Cause Scene:

Iago just departed from seeing his dearly lovely wife Emilia to start his wonderful day at work. It was a typical Monday, but by time the day would end no one would be the same again. Iago went to Othello's office to see if he was their, but of course Othello wasn't at work yet because he would be so busy completing deeds for his wife Desdemona and doing other good things benefiting the city. At lunch time Iago talked among the other workers, employees, and people who did things for the kingdom. He noticed something strange also. Usually around the time of 1:20 each day his wife would call and tell him good news or about he mail he received about bills and advertisements. Iago then skipped lunch to go see his wife and hopefully make a little love before he has to go back and do work in the office. When he got inside his house his wife was on the couch crying, holding a piece of paper in her hand. Iago then read it and came to find out that Othello laid him off and he wouldn't be commanded to the next rank. Their wasn't any reasons given, but Iago felt his own rage and decided to make a poem to release his anger out. "I, hate, the moor . . .", THE END.

Journal #4

1. In my performance I will be acting as Iago. I will have to be loud, bold, taunting back and forth, and show my emotion towards the moor. My hand gestures and facial emotions should show how I feel and or who I am talking to in the scene.

2. In my part of the scene we're performing my character Iago will be having a satchel or knife. To be and have more creativity to the scene Iago will have a type of weapon to use it to make hand gestures and show how he's feeling towards the moor.

3. To make my groups performance stand out we will show emotion and good acting skills when presenting by facing the audience when talking and speaking loud with confidence. For a group each individual person worked as a good person to each study their part each and become dedicated to their parts of the scene.

Post performance journal: 

Lines in my scene that I were reading from was based from Iago’s perspective. One quote that I would like to analyze is “he hath a person and a smooth dispose to be suspected, framed to make woman false”. In my own point of view this quote means a lot and pertains to this play. The quote is important to the play because it has more then one meaning to Othello.  The quote is trying to say that Othello is a man that happens to be wrong at times and accuses woman of false things. By Iago saying that in his part of the scene it made the scene more exciting because it explained a little of a part why he has hatred, knowing that he works under the control of Othello he’s a person with the intentions of being a betrayal or outgoing person towards the situations that occur farther in the book. In the performance I gave the audience a hint that it was a good and important part of the scene by adjusting my voice to a different and much lower tone of voice, I had a weapon in my hand, and the way I was pasting back and forth could tell that Iago (me) either had a thought or concern of Othello for woman and his cares. When I delivered this quote it made me think to myself about how performing the scene made me get a better understanding of why Iago hated the moor, then when I was individually reading the book or listening to the audio.  

My groups performance went as expected because we put a lot of free time during school and english class into our scenes. Now that it is over I am proud that I know how to act better to let the audience realize who the character is talking to. If we did the performance over again I would try tom memorize my lines by heart, so I wouldn’t have to read off a paper and it could seem more creative.

Performing the play live in front of a audience changed my understanding of the book because it became more easier to view as a reader. By me and my group coming together and rehearsing our parts it gave me the idea that the story helped me learn more and become more interesting about what was going on.