Benchmark Podcast #1

Kyler Jamekea Tyler and Miriam

Chapters 1,2, & 3

Mark Miles (Teacher)
Mark Miles

When discussing chapters 3, 5, or 6, incorporate the following article into your discussion:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-lie-with-data-visualization-1563576606

Also, each member of your group should find an article online containing a misleading graph and discuss it during the podcast (be sure to talk about why it’s misleading!). Be sure to include a link to all articles in the text of your post of the podcast that corresponds to chapters 3, 5, or 6.

Mark Miles (Teacher)
Mark Miles

Please do not curse in your podcast. I really liked your use of quotes and pulling in definitions from outside sources. Unfortunately, it doesn't always sound like you were listening to each other, and it doesn't sound like you recorded this together. You listed Tyler as being a part of the podcast, but I did not hear her (and don't forget the rest of the text that you're supposed to post). You only discussed chapter 1 when the description states you discussed chapters 1 - 3. Why no discussion of the introduction? Also, the audio drops in and out and the podcast fades out without you finishing your thoughts. Finally, please do not make me download this next time. For next time, please respond to the following prompts:

1. Choose one of the quotations inside the front cover and discuss how it relates to the Introduction.
  2. Summarize Chapter 2 in a few sentences.
  3. When we see an average reported, what do we need to ask besides which kind of average is being used? Why?
  4. Which kind of “average” (statisticians call all three “measures of central tendency”) would give me the best way to compare the performance of two classes of a required math course? Why?
  5. Explain why advertisers often rely on a very small sample to substantiate their claims.
  6. What does the author mean on Page 45 when he says, “Hardly anybody is exactly normal in any way…?”
  7. How can the graph of the advertising agency’s business be misleading when the graph clearly shows such an upward trend?