BENCHMARK REFLECTION

https://sites.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/ifwearethefutureletusvote/?pli=1

As we sat down as a group, our conversation focused on changes we would like to see concerning voting. We all agreed that we would like to see the voting age be lowered to at least age 16, making it possible for teens to vote.  We believe that if 16 and 17 year olds vote a wider majority of issues involving young people will be addressed.

The main goal of our project is to convince the public that more teens should be allowed to vote. In order for an individual to create and sustain change is to have a voice in the change process. Voting is the only way to make a difference all the times.

After  completing this project my understanding of the electoral process has improved dramatically. I now understand how much decision making, and preparation  that goes in to election day and voting. Learning all the information that I have about voting, I still believe America is a democracy, because everyone has the opportunity to take part in the decision making process, but the problem is the government adding new voting requirements.   

In this unit I learned that there are so many different reasons why people come out and vote. The overall reason was to effect change in their community. I also learned that the process in which will allow people to vote can effect voter turnout.  Having Tuesday as a voting day , opening the polls at 7:00am and closing at 8:00pm limits the amount of people that can vote. Some people work all day and cannot find time to vote.

To create a message to reach out to a national audience, we thought it would be best to create a video, and print ads, to show what we are trying to persuade people to do. In the video and print ads we thought to use slogans, and pictures, and the thoughts, and opinions, from real teenagers to make our ideas and points come alive.