Bet Match

(Shaking in seat, waiting for fight to start.) Aw yeah, the Undertaker is going down tonight! Don’t cha’ think man? (Motions to the random person next to him) Um, you think the Undertaker is going to beat him? Listen, I know we just met, but I need to say: In. Your. Dreams, pal. I bet money on this. I should know that he is going dow- Wait! That’s the announcer. Yes, it’s starting! And there’s the Undertaker. Look at him, man. He looks weak. And there he is. The man that’s gonna make me rich. AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA (theme music ensues). Heck yeah! Now look at him. That guy is a beast. His moves are so swift and powerful, he’s gonna take down the Undertaker in no time and conquer this steel cage match! What do you mean no? Look. At. Him. The Undertaker has no chance. I’d bet you $500 that the Undertaker won’t even last one minute in that cage if I didn’t already bet my brother. Matter of fact, I’ll bet you anyway. $500, on the table right now that John Cena wins. Oh, you actually wanna do this? Alright then, we’ll leave the money right here. Just know that you’re pretty much out $500. There is no way John Cena is gonna get beat. He- Wait. That’s the bell! Ok man, I hope you’re ready to lose 500 bucks ‘cause John Cena is going to town! (Watches fight begin. Looks around sporadically) Aw yeah! Bang! Boom! Right in the kidneys! (Begins to look only at person next to him) Dude, you can’t honestly tell me that the Undertaker can take him down. Look at that. The guy can’t even touch him let alone defeat him. I’ll just be taking this now then...Dude, why you hanging on me? What do you mean look now? Why is John on the floor? Why is the Undertaker on the ropes? He’s not gonna…(Looks up slowly and then down quickly. Horrified expression. Whispers) Body slam…(Normal Voice) Oh no. (Looks off into distance. Keeps looking off into the distance before he says every number) 1 No. No, no, no. 2 No, John. Come on. 3 John please. Get up! 4 No! Come on. 5 Cena! Get! Up! 6 Dude, come on! I bet money on you! 7 I have a family. I gotta feed them. 8 You can’t do this to me John! 9 (Elongated yelling) Cena! 10 K...O... (Looks over to guy) Just take the money and leave me, man. I just need to sit here...for a minute. How could he lose? I bet all of my life savings on that fight. Dang...Well, at least I can catch the Floyd and Mayweather fight. (Walks off stage)

James's song

Anthony McDonnell (Student 2018)
Anthony McDonnell
  1. I really connected with the character in your monologue! I loved hearing how his voice changed from being confident and cocksure to being reserved and defeated.
  2. The part where you had the announcer count to ten while the better anguished over Cena losing was quite moving. In that scene, you could really sense the better's weaknesses, as well as a potentially distressed financial situation. Also, the meme was funny.
Thomas Wallison (Student 2018)
Thomas Wallison
  1. I couldn't connect with the character since I am very much not a betting person. I consider it a waste of money, but not everyone is me.
  2. The part with AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA is memorable.
Xavier Gavin (Student 2018)
Xavier Gavin
  1. I did connect with the character. I too am a very competitive person… maybe not when it comes to betting my life savings on a wrestilng match… but still.
  2. Near the end when he was counting from 1 to 10 as he realized John was gonna lose. I could hear the dissapointment in his voice and saw how fast he changed.