Blog #3 Agent of Change

Hey, It’s Ona  I’m back for the last phase of my You and the World project. In my previous blogs, I expressed to you my concern about musical  therapy. In my first blog I told you a little about what I was doing and why I was concerned about my topic Click here.  Blog Post 1. In my second blog post I explained how music was therapeutic. How music affects the brain and our mood. Click here  Blog Post 2 .  

This is my agent of change blog. This project has gave me a broader view on the world. It showed me that just because I’m an adolescent doesn't mean I can’t do anything to change the world. You don’t have to have money or be famous to contribute to the world. If someone does a little, no one has to do a lot and that’s how change starts. I was concerned about a certain topic, and I went out and did something about it. It made me feel important, like I was in control. I didn't have to wait on anybody else. I speak for my whole class when I say we went above our self imposed limitations. This project didn't allow us to be lazy, it was very hands on. This project also help further my knowledge about the brain and how music affects it.  I got to learn how the brain works and the different parts of it. I came out of this project with knowledge, a new look on responsibility and independence.

For my agent of change I knew I wanted to do something with kids. Whether it was reading a book to them, entertaining or playing music/dancing. I wanted to volunteer at Children's Hospital. But I was unable to do that because they don’t let unauthorized people interact with the kids, I needed  specialized training. So I decided to go volunteer in July. I would be able to feed, and nurse the babies. I’m still able to help in some type of way. Just because the project is over, doesn’t mean I have to stop caring about my issue, I still want to keep doing. Along with volunteering I decided to present a slide deck to the Dunda and Herman advisory, Showing them how music is therapeutic. I asked my classmates questions after I gave them background information on my issue. I played several songs and got feedback on how it made them feel. In the slide I gave a brief overview and went into detail while speaking.  Click here. Is Music therapeutic ?  Music

Is It Therapeutic ?

(This is the title of my presentation the link for it is above.)

At childrens Hospital of Philadelphia, musical organizational groups are coming and teaching the children how to play instruments, and playing music for entertainment. They’re using the music as therapy for the children, to help take their minds off their situations and pain they’re going through. Also, at some hospitals chronically ill patients that are undergoing surgery are being prescribed anti-anxiety drugs along with being assigned to listen to certain music to calm them down. At temple college there is an ongoing study on how Mozart and classical music helps the brain think better. All of these examples are of things that are currently being done in the world about my issue. Hospitals are using music as therapy and conducting studies on how music really affects the brain. I think this is the next step up and it’s really good to bring attention to.  

I’ve always struggled with time management, that is one thing that I wish I could've handled better on my “Agent of Change”. If I timed things correctly I would've been able to volunteer at the hospital before the project was over instead of July. Also, for my presentation I think I should have used more songs that people didn't know about, because they would not have preconceived notions about the songs. So, it wouldn't affect how they felt about the song. I’m looking forward to continuing my project in the summer by volunteering at Children's Hospital. I would like to acknowledge Ms.Dunn for her handwork and dedication. She laid everything out for us, all we had to do is follow the steps. She checked in daily with us to see how we were doing. She offered her time during lunch, and her space. Thank you Ms. Dunn. I would also like to acknowledge my classmates. Getting through this project wasn't easy. It took a great deal of hard work and devotion.