BOOM! (The Manhattan Project) - NHD

The topic in which I chose for my National History Day project was the "Manhattan Project". I became interested in the Manhattan Project after I found out it was responsible for the production of the first nuclear weapons. Those weapons were later used to end a war instantly and at the same time destroy over 90,000 innocent lives. I chose this topic because I hadn't done any previous research on the topic and I was really anxious to learn how it had come about.

The way I conducted my research was by first finding my sources. I took my time and looked for some very useful primary sources, I also did the same with my secondary sources. I conducted my research by first researching every body who was involved with my topic. I knew that if i wanted to fully understand this information, I was going to need some good background information and I thought that information on the people involved was a good place to start. Next I started to do some basic research on what the actual "Manhattan Project" was. I got some basic facts including dates, and people involved.

I selected the presentation category "Documentary" due to a couple reasons. The first major reason is that I consider myself very talented when it comes to video editing and creation so I felt ver comfortable choosing this category. Another reason is because I worked alone I believed that this allowed me to work more efficiently. I created my project using the video editing software known as iMovie. I also compensated for not being able to do a good voiceover by recording the spoken voice of the computer. I created my documentary as though it was a timeline and displayed everything in order in which it occurred.

My project relates to the NHD theme of "Debate & Diplomacy: Successes, Failures, Consequences" because at first the use of radioactive elements was considered in creating a new energy source. It quickly jumped from something peaceful to a weapon of mass destruction. I believe that this is one of the most important projects undertaken by the American government in modern history and that end result is one of the most significant events also. There were many conflicts as too weather or not these weapons should be developed, a mass number of civilian support against its development.