Buffalo Chicken Dip

Recipe

1. Preheat oven to 350°

2. Spread cream cheese evenly into an ungreased, large baking dish.

3. Spread out chicken on top of the cream cheese.

4. Layer buffalo sauce and ranch dressing on top of the chicken.

5. Sprinkle monterey cheese on top.

6. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.

7. Serve with chips and/or baguette slices.

Ingredients

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened

1 cup pre-cooked chicken breast

1/2 cup Buffalo sauce

1/2 cup ranch salad dressing

2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese

Chips, baguette slices, or tortilla chips

Analysis

Buffalo chicken dip has been a staple at my family gatherings and parties ever since my mother began making this dish. About one year ago she felt inspired to learn a recipe because my dad was the primary chef in the family, and she wanted to contribute to the kitchen. This dish is quick, easy, and works for any occasion.

Overall this appetizer is relatively good for you, but only in moderation. Approximately 2 tablespoons of the dip is just over 150 calories, has roughly 15 grams of fat, 1 gram of sugar, and 7 grams of protein. All of these components move through your body in different ways. For example the calories consumed from the dip can either be burned from exercise or turned into fat. The fat consumed is essentially just calories that will not be converted into another type of usable energy until they are exercised. The sugar consumed is put into the bloodstream and sent to the pancreas, releasing a hormone called insulin. It is then stored in the liver, muscles, and fat cells. And finally the protein consumed is broken down into amino acids in the stomach, that are sent into the bloodstream to go to other parts of the body.

This appetizer is also inexpensive at just about $15, for 16 servings. Compared to the nutritional value and cost of fast food, this is a much better deal. With just about all fast food being fully processed, this buffalo chicken dip is a better option as it can be made with all fresh ingredients and whole food. The only processed pieces of this recipe are the amounts of ranch dressing and buffalo sauce. Even so these amounts can be adjusted to fit the needs of the consumer.