Cheyenne Pagan Marking period 1

Art. Such a small word but into it goes so much meaning; So many different forms and interpretations of this three-letter word. But what does it mean to be an artist? It means having the ability to put down every emotion and every feeling inside of you into a picture, a dance routine, and a sculpture. It means being able to paint a picture of your mind for the world to see; and that I why I do what I do. I want the world to feel who I am; to touch and see and feel what’s been inside of my mind; my heart. When I work with paint I am reminded that the world is a colorful place and that we’ve stepped out of the black and white days into a colorful and diverse place. I begin a piece by thinking about the assignment and how I can add my own person experiences into it.

I know a piece is done when I feel that it’s complete and I’ve got my message across. When my work is going well, I am filled with a sense of happiness and expressive success. When people see my work, I'd like them to step into my shoes and look into my mind.

When it comes to my artwork, it’s really all about how I feel. Honestly all of my work has to be thought out in my headfirst so when it comes to decision-making I try my hardest to think about what fits best in my piece and what makes the most sense in my mind. I like making my work really out there to reflect my bold and expressively different personality. When it comes to different themes of my artwork, I try to keep it real. I like making my art a reflection of my life and what is happening. It gives me a way to document my life in a sense; some girls have journals where they jot down all of their emotions, I have little pieces of artwork to serve as memoirs throughout my life.

My current artwork is a heart made of recycled newspapers and other re used objects. In my current life, I am going through some hardships with love and so my piece is centered on a heart. The recycled paper is coming from the top in many different kind of untamed ways to represent the wild and untamed habits of teenage love and love in general. In the center of the heart is a silver square that is different and more luminous as compared to the rest of the piece. This represents the different being inside the core of each person; weather it’s a strong and bold center inside of the cowardly girl or a scared and hurt boy inside a cold and courageous man. This also can relate to the heart of the earth and how it needs our help to survive and we need to remember recycling our resources is like the reusing of blood to our heart. 

Photo on 2010-11-02 at 23.06 #3
Photo on 2010-11-02 at 23.06 #3