Chicken Soup

Ingredients​
1 (3 pound) whole chicken 
4 carrots, halved 
4 stalks celery, halved 
1 large onion, halved 
water to cover 
salt and pepper to taste 
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (optional)

Process
Put the chicken, carrots, celery and onion in a large soup pot and cover with cold water. Heat and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken meat falls off of the bones (skim off foam every so often).
Take everything out of the pot. Strain the broth. Pick the meat off of the bones and chop the carrots, celery and onion. Season the broth with salt, pepper and chicken bouillon to taste, if desired. Return the chicken, carrots, celery and onion to the pot, stir together, and serve.

Write up
This meal is entirely non-processed. Though you could include potentially processed ingredients, like gross chicken or pre-made chicken stock or ground carrots or a plastic onion, this simple form of the meal is basically entirely healthy. If you use really good produce, it could be really healthy. The exception in this specific recipes is the optional chicken bouillon granules, but even those won't kill you.
This meal is super cheap and super low-maintenance. So long as you're in the house to make sure it doesn't burn down, you can mostly just skim some foam/fat off the top every once in a long while. This meal gets even cheaper when you consider that I don't like celery and wouldn't buy any. The trick of this meal is that most of what you're eating is hot water. Broth-y soup and coffee and tea are well loved because they are somehow just versions of water that we really like, and in parts of the world where they're served, the only thing cheaper than water is air.
Socially, this meal holds a very important role among the Jewish people. Like how Einstein's inertial reference frames suggest that speed is subjective based on viewpoint, the best chicken soup is always made by the consumer's mother. Many an argument has been had about who's soup is best. "My mom's," says the speaker. "No, my mom's!" says the opposition. Little do they know that they are both correct. Other fun facts about soup include: it's better on the second day, it is the only true cure-all, and matzo balls are bad. Maybe most people don't agree with me on that last point.