Children of Philly (School Budget Cuts): Poster Designing

For my part of the project, I designed the posters. The posters were a idea we came up with as a way to let people know about the campaign and spread the word. I knew that the posters would need to catch, as well as hold, people’s attention. For the posters, my goal was not to give people information, but to direct them to it. I only wanted to make people interested enough to bring them to the website via the QR code that I would put on the posters. For these reasons, I decided to make the posters rather simple and plain, along with very little text. I wanted to make three to four posters using photoshop. I ended up making three simple posters that were very different from each other. 

I spent a lot of time planning out exactly which photos to use, the colors in each, the placement of the words, and the font. I ended up using the same font for each poster, connecting them in some way. I made each one very simple, using only one photo, and very little text. The hardest part was probably putting on the text. This is because I had to decide how big I wanted it to be, and where to put/fit it on the poster. The other challenge was getting the coloring how I wanted it on the robot poster. I wanted the posters to each be minimalistic, so I looked up a photoshop minimal poster tutorial. I followed this for the poster, but it was still challenging. 

Overall, I am happy with how the posters turned out to be.  To make them effective and to put them in action, I hung them up in different places around the school. Because each one had a QR code leading to our website, I wanted to hang them up in places where people go the most often. That way more people will see the poster, and are more likely to scan it. I put them in the stairwell, as well as on some of the most popular walls, and most used doors. I tried to put about one of each poster design on each floor. While hanging them up, I had a few teachers comment on them and tell me that it catches their eye, and some even asked me more about the project and campaign. Mr. Lehman also retweeted one of the posters on twitter, which helped to get the word out. These were some of the ways that I knew the posters were effective.