CHIP (Lola Akinsola)

AmericanGovtQ2
    The task that my partner, Thea, and I decided to work with was the Pennsylvania state children’s health insurance (CHIP). This company is exactly what the name is. It was created for people to have better health assistance for their children without having to pay for it. It depends on the household income and status for whether one would be eligible for it.

One may apply for CHIP online, on paper, or over the phone. While my partner focused on the online application, I focused on the paper application, which was mighty tedious. First of all, it was fifteen pages. One must write down very specific details about their living situation like how many miles they drive as if people really pay attention to those kinds of things. The application itself was a little hard to understand so I wasn’t exactly sure if I was filling it out correctly.

If I could change one thing about the bureaucratic process that we flow-charted, I would try to remove some unnecessary things like how many miles one drives each week. I would do this because I don’t really see the significance of this information. I figured that all that really mattered was the house income and the disabilities in the home.

I think the system became complicated simply because people lie about their living situations to get money. That’s pretty much the only explanation I can think of. Just like when people file bankruptcy, people may apply for this so they don’t have to pay for their child’s health insurance.

Check the flow chart :)