Climate Change Monologue Project

In this unit we learned about climate change and talked about how it is the next big global crisis. In class we had discussions and watched movies about the issue. In the monologues that I have written, they show the different perspectives people have on the issue of climate change and its affects on people around the world.

First Monologue:                                     
The Sea

West Africa, 2014. Tim Owusu

(Walks through the door, he’s pissed off)

We didn't get anything. There’s nothing in the area or out outside it.

We’re trying as hard as we can sir

I understand we're not catching anything but I don’t think it’s our fault.

(paces back and forth)

Waters are getting darker , fish are leaving the area…..I’m not making up things!!, you think I like this?! I have a family of 4 to feed and I’m not making any money. It’s been a year since we've made a big catch, the planet is changing, the fish don’t come here anymore!

Sir, just listen to me, I've seen it myself, so have all the other boys, it’s the reason why no money is coming into your pockets and into mine.

You can’t do this sir….firing me won’t do you any good.

If you don’t believe me then ask some of the other boys...whispers, I can’t believe this crap.

It’s not just that we’re not getting any fish, the quality is terrible. No one is buying our products.

This isn’t the only place it’s happening, it’s happening Guinea, it’s happening down the coast in Nigeria. Damn it!, it’s probably happening everywhere!!

(walks to the window and gazes for a moment)

....Hiring someone to replace me isn’t going to do your business any good, what we need to do is raise awareness. It’s happening because of climate change, I’ve seen them talk about it on the news. They keep saying water levels are rising, more natural disasters are happening. That it’s also affecting the water quality. I didn't believe it at first but I've seen it myself now. My family is struggling, we can’t afford anything, we’re living on a minimum!!

I understand you're not making any money! but you have to hear me out, I want to help you sir….just give me another chance.

Thank you so much.I will do everything in my power to bring your business back, I will try.

Second Monologue:

New York City, 2014                             For a Cause

Michael Smith

To Stranger: Excuse me, excuse me, would like to take a  moment to help support climate change?Have a nice day!

Excuse me, would you like...have a nice day

To Self: I've been here standing like an idiot for 4 hours trying to get peoples attention. What’s so important that they can’t just stop and help our cause for just a minute or two, or are they just that ignorant to what’s happening to our planet. (tries to hand a flyer)

People need to snap to reality and come to realize what is actually happening, I know people have other issues but this is a pretty big one.

To Stranger: Would you like to take a moment and help and support our march to help raise awareness on climate change on September 21st?

no? ok then…

To Self: These people remind of my dad, ignorant and self centered. He never takes the time to listen to me when it comes to my rants about climate change, think it’s gibberish and nonsense and that there is no possible way it’s our fault that all this is happening,

I’m just trying to raise awareness, trying to help the people, the planet.

Some people don’t even believe it’s happening because of us, humans! I just think that’s absurd, how ignorant could you be, there has been data to back up it’s our fault for the longest time, or is that just not enough.

I really hope after this march then more people will join us on our fight against global warming. Because if they don’t our future generations will not have a world live in.

Third Monologue:

A Different Mind Set

Brooklyn, New York, 2014

Jack Smith

Bye, see you soon!(slams door)thank god he left I’m tired of all his rants.

Climate change this, climate change that, blah blah blah. Doesn't he see I’m busy with other things. My mind is somewhere else, somewhere more important, on my family.

(sits on sofa, then lays down)

I don’t know if he think living on minimum wage is easy, especially with 3 kids. Heck he doesn’t even have to pay bills, he’s got his mom for that!

(Gets up and walks into kitchen, pours himself a cup of coffee, spills it)

Damn it!, nothing good happens in this house, nothing good happens to me!

(walks back over to sofa)

I can’t believe he has gotten so far just by talking about all this climate change stuff! It’s just unfair, I work my ass off all my life just to make sure I can feed my kids and send them to school!

He’s always telling me to help his company’s cause, with a small donation when I’m the one living on a minimum wage salary, who the hell does he think he is?!

Tells me that global warming or whatever it’s called is our problem, the people fault. Tells me that I should ride my bike to work instead on driving. I don’t know how he expects me to believe all this stuff!

But if he’s happy doing what he does then, go ahead do it, just don’t let him come running to me with his little stories and facts. If he thinks that’s he’s doing something positive than ok. He should just atleast bring me some money to help me out.

I just hope he doesn't end up like me, with no money.