Color Wheel, 18x18” - Watercolor

This is the water color wheel that we did. For this art project, I used a cup for water, paint brush, permanent marker, and a ruler. I got everything set up. Then I drew a circle by free hand. I divided the circle into twelve sections so each section could represent the sections on a color wheel. For this project, I only used the colors red, yellow, and blue to make the different colors shown below. I only used red, blue, and yellow because they are the primary colors of the color wheel and that means that they can be combined to make the different colors shown below. 

My favorite tool was the tray I used to mix all of my colors on because I could wash the tray off if the colors weren't right. I could mess up on the tray before I brought the color onto the paper. The best thing about the color wheel is that it shows people what the different primary colors can combine and make. Some patterns that people can spot are the colors and how some of them are darker versions of the other ones. They have a pastel look to them. My favorite color is the teal-blue because it reminds me of the sky on a nice day.

When I work with water colors, I am reminded that they mix effortlessly with each other. I begin a piece drawing a big circle. I know a piece is done when all of the colors above are represented. When my work is going well, I am filled with a sense of relief...knowing that I did something right. When people see my work, I'd like them to see a completed water wheel.
photo (81)
photo (81)