Computer Vision Syndrome

Computer Vision Syndrome results from long term technology and can damage your eyes as well as induce headaches. Devices such as computers, tablets, and eReaders can cause computer vision syndrome. Pretty much everyone has experienced computer vision syndrome in their life. The symptoms include dry eyes, headaches, sore eyes, and blurred vision. 
There are many things that contribute to computer vision syndrome other than the screen itself, such as the lighting and distance at which you're viewing the screen. This happens because your eyes are essentially working harder when viewing heavily lit objects that are not contrasted to the background, which is why almost all emails and papers are written as black words on a white background. Muscles in your eyes tighten, namely the ciliary muscle, which controls the viewing of objects at various distances. The average worker spends about seven hours a day working off of a screen, and we spend more seeing as we're a technology driven school, which makes this a big issue in today's society.