Control in a Relationship

Control in a relationship

Comparing ‘Taming Of The Shrew’ to the film Begin Again.’

The Taming of the Shrew by Shakespeare is a  family drama. The story opens with Baptisia a merchant who is the father of two girls. Katherine who is the eldest strong-willed and awkward. His younger daughter, Bianca is more beautiful and kind.   Baptisia wants his older daughter Katherine to get married before his youngest daughter will be permitted to do so.

Tranio and Lucentio come to town from Verona. Lucentio is a well-off man and Tranio is his servant. Lucentio falls in love with Kate; he falls in love with right away. Lucento dresses like a tutor so that he can be in the household were Kate lives. Tranio takes on the profile of Lucentio. Another man named Tranio and Lucentio come to town from Verona. Lucentio is a well-off man and Tranio is his servant. Lucentio falls in love with Kate; he falls in love with right away. Lucento dresses like a tutor so that he can be in the household were Kate lives. Tranio takes on the profile of Lucentio. Another man named Petruchio comes from out of town to Hortensio's house which is his friend who is also interested in Bianca. Horensio has a plan, and he convinces Petruchio to marry Kate.   Baptista has a lot of money, so when he gets married to Kate the marriage will come with a large dowry. This will clear the path for Bianca to marry. In the movie Begin Again Gretta is dating a songwriter named Dave Kohl, they move to New York when Dave gets a major record deal. With Dave's new issues he has new temptations for other girls. When a couple is married the husband has more control over the wife and the spouse is forced to do things that they don't want to do.

"Quote from Play" (Act 1, Scene 2, 75 and 76 )

“ I come to wive it wealthy in Padua; if wealthy then happy.”

The quote is from the Taming of the Shrew, Petruchio was the one speaking here. The quote shows how Petruchio feels about marriage. Petrucio knew that had money and had the plan to get some of the money in the form of a dowry by marrying his daughter Kate.  Petruchio wants to marry for money, not love. This shows he is in love with the money, not his wife.

This is Dave and Gretta Talking about their relationship and Gretta leaves Dave showing he does not control her.

Dave did not have control over the relationship between him and Gretta. In the time and setting of the play women are married to men, the husband has power and the spouse is forced to do things that they might not like, but they do it because there married.

"Quote from Play"

(Act 5, Scene 7, 175)

"Thy king, Thy Governor."

This quote is again a part of Katherine's speech at the end of the book. Katherine was saying that the husband is the king and they can control the wife. Back then the husband had more control of the wife; the husband would work and provide for the family while the wife stays home. This brings the theme control; this shows that the husband has the power of the relationship because the wife is saying my husband is the king.

Gretta and dave fighting  this shows that Dave does not have control over the relationship.

In the movie, Dave Kohl goes to L.A for his music career, and then comes back to New York. He plays Gretta a new song that he made, the song talked about another girl who was touring with him. He cheated on Gretta, and this made Gretta mad and she left him. This is the opposite of the play because the wife believes that the husband is the king and he can do whatever he wants. Dave did not control Gretta.

Quote from Play"

(Act 5, Scene 2 ,176)

" Even such duty as the subject owns the prince"

Gretta is forced to perform here showing that she has to do things she does not like

This can be compared to the Movie Begin again because Greta is forced to perform her music and ends up finding that she has great talent. Being forced to do something that worked out for her. I believe that Katherine was forced to say the speech and ended up loving her husband.

When women are married to men, the husband has control and the spouse is forced to do things that they might not like, but they do it because they're married. The play the Taming of the Shrew is older than the movie Begin again. Since the film is more contemporary the view has changed. Back then, the husband had total control over their spouse, but now the spouse will stand up for there self. Divorce was not common back then but now if the relationship does not work the spouse can leave their husband. When women are married, they are forced to things they don’t like; this is true because Katherine did not want to perform that speech and Gretta did not want to perform, but they both did it because they are married.