COVID-19: a year of pain for musicians

Artist’s Statement:

Hi, I am Anh Ngo. I created this piece of art reasonably recently, being honest as a project for my English teacher. When I started, though, it’s not because of the grades. I wanted to draw these pictures out so that in the future, I can look back and have evidence of what happened in our world. I will try to save this, as this could also be a piece of history of the world. I know that these pictures are a bit strange and biased, but I only have one purpose when I drew these pictures, and that purpose is to show what it looks like through the lens of a musician during this time. I have no doubt that there are other people who are project is very similar to mine (and in fact, even better), but I wanted to tell my own story and how I looked at it. For example, in July, I drew about how I participated in a music summer camp, entirely online. Now, I know that not everyone has a music camp online, but I wanted to tell a story of a person from someone who does and what it felt like. To be honest, I don’t exactly have the best drawing skills, but I do try as much as I can to describe what it looks like from the point of view of a musician. Oh and also, another thing I wanted to point out: A lot of other people, especially those from Wuhan, have been affected by COVID-19 starting from December. Since this is from my point of view, I will only be starting the pictures in February, since that was when this whole mess started to affect me and my family. I would also like to say that I chose not to have color to reflect the fact that this year has been dark. Now, I know that my pictures may not be as glamorous as others, but I will try as hard as I possibly can to help bring the point of view of a musician through these challenging times. Thank you.

COVID-19_ a bad year for musicians (2) (1)