CSheridan; Room for Debate - Patriot Act

​Cyndi Lynn Sheridan

American Government – D

September 18, 2012

Patriot Act: Battle of the Beliefs

Approximately three thousand innocent lives were taken on September 11th, 2001.1 The government immediately took action by establishing a law called the “Patriot Act.” The main purpose of this law was to prevent attacks like 9/11 from occurring again. However, this law has been considered a controversial issue because in order to protect the citizens the government has to invade their privacy. Stop and think for a moment what's more important to you, your life or your privacy.

The government only investigates potential terrorists, meaning if you don't associate yourself in illegal actions you should not be intimidated by their capabilities. You have access to all your constitutional values if you behave in a proper manner. In society, technology continues to advance making it easier for terrorists to target America, therefore it is necessary to take precautions before the damage happens. I definitely believe the Patriot Act is imperative for the safety of the citizens in the United States.

1September 11 by Numbers." New York Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Sept. 2012. <http://nymag.com/news/articles/wtc/1ye