De-extinction

De-extinction?

Science is fully capable of bringing animals back from extinction, but should they? Many people believe that scientists should not bring back extinct creatures, that they are playing with unnatural things. Many people are also afraid of the idea of bringing animals back to life because of disaster stories like "Jurassic Park" and also religious beliefs that humans should not mess with life and death. However, was it not humans who made these creatures extinct? Using genetic engineering to bring back extinct animals is worthwhile because the great possibilities outweigh the dangers.

Every animal has a role to play in the ecosystem. When humans kill off certain animals, there are always bad side effects that take place. Animals such as otters balance the ecosystem by keeping sea urchins in check. If otters were to become extinct then the sea urchins would ravage all kelp forest. Thus causing a ripple effect, ending up with many fish, invertebrate, and marine mammals losing a major food source, and possible shelter. If certain extinct animals could be reintroduced into the wild again, then it could help balance the ecosystem. Think of what would happen today if one of the keystone species, such as honey bees, were go to extinct in the next five years. Unfortunately, this situation is entirely possible. According to an article published in GlobalResearch.ca, “Since 2006 beekeepers have been noticing their honeybee populations have been dying off at increasingly rapid rates. Subsequently researchers have been scrambling to come up with an accurate explanation and an effective strategy to save the bees and in turn save us homo sapiens from extinction.” The honey bee does 80% of the pollination around the world. Imagine if all the honey bees were to go extinct today, the side effects would be catastrophic. With this new knowledge of species revival, if there was ever a need to quickly resurrect this species it would be possible. This research could not only save mankind, but all the species that reside on the planet earth. Mankind needs to stop confusing religion with science. This information is not so that scientist can brag about becoming a deity, it is so that one day scientist have a chance at saving life on earth.  

Furthermore, de-extinction is just the start of all the discoveries that could come from bringing back extinct animals. With this type of new knowledge, this could further the understanding of evolution and how humans came to be. In a statement made by Jack Horner the professor of paleontology at Montana State University  he said, “‘Any of us that have any curiosity about how we all got here and where everything came from has to be interested in evolutionary biology," Horner said. "It's basically the blueprint of life on this Earth.’" For centuries man has tried to figure out how this the modern day homo-sapien came to be. Whether it was by some sort of deity or through evolution, in the end much is still a giant mystery. Each time an species is brought back using genetic engineering humans come closer to understanding DNA, and how to unlock its secrets. If bringing back extinct animals helps humans understand how humans have evolved into what they are today, humans should feel some sort of longing to understanding the creation of mankind.

With de-extinction, humans could right the wrongs done by them to the earth. Humans have killed off the Dodo birds, Tasmanian tiger, Gastric brooding frog, etc. It was not by natural causes that these creatures died off but, the actions of people today are to blame. For example on the website livescience.com it said, “Passenger pigeons (Ectopistes migratorius) once blanketed the skies of eastern North America, but hunting and deforestation brought them to extinction 100 years ago. Martha, the last one, died at the Cincinnati Zoo in 1914.”  If given the chance to bring these once abundant creatures back to life, then should there not be anyone against it. These animals have not even been extinct for more than a century so would it not be okay. Also based upon how large the population of this species used to be most likely many carnivores and plants in North America may have relied on the passenger pigeon as a food source and pollinator. With the reintroduction of the passenger pigeon it could help feed animals throughout North America. While also becoming another major pollinator due to the sheer size of each flock, and how far the pigeons travel.   

In conclusion, people should not base their opinion off of a fictional movie there are more practical uses for the de-extinction of certain species. There are real advantages of bringing back extinct animals. De-extinction could be used on many recently extinct animals. Dinosaurs may not get a second chance at life, but would it not be right for humans to bring back the recently extinct animals that are just victims of pollution, deforestation, and global warming. Plus the more scientist understand about how DNA evolves over time to adapts to new environments the better humans will know about the past, and what's the future may hold for Earth's species.

Work Cited:

Sumner, Thomas, and Bjourn Carey. "Stanford's Hank Greely Presents the Ethics of Resurrecting Extinct Species." Stanford University. Standford University, 5 Apr. 2013. Web. 13 Oct. 2015.

Copy & paste citation

Geggel, By Laura. "Dino-Chicken One Step Closer." LiveScience. TechMedia Network, 19 May 2015. Web. 13 Oct. 2015.

Jaime Vaquero-Garcia (Student 2017)
Jaime Vaquero-Garcia

Not many people hear about the de-extinction. Your arguments are strong, if whether the scientists should being back the extinction animals. As I kept reading the 2fer, was persuaded into bring the animals back.

Guy Peart (Student 2017)
Guy Peart

This topic does not come up a lot, and you provided a valid argument for why De-extinction could be beneficial. I agree with what you are trying to say, but there is a lot more to it than just resurrection. Times are different, ways of life has drifted into a more complicated era, how are you sure that these species would survive? Or endanger the lives of new species that may have taken their place? Your thesis could be rearranged a little, maybe just a little bit clearer.

Guy Peart (Student 2017)
Guy Peart

Harrison Freed (Student 2017)
Harrison Freed

I agree with many thoughts of yours about possible utilities. However, what would de-extinction do to help the honey bees? If they were to go extinct and then we brought them back, what forces would stop them from just dying off again? With regards to the honey bee, their conditions need to be changed. De-extinction into the same environment just sounds like denial. Also, isn't the cloning of human predecessors for the sake of study immoral? Imagine being brought into existence in a world where no one was like you and they just wanted to study you. Sounds not fun. I think your thesis should be less broad, because it implies that all de-extinction would be positive.

Kara Heenan (Student 2017)
Kara Heenan

This 2fer expanded my thinking because I never even knew de-extinction was possible, but now I'm very interested, and it made me think of the consequences of bringing certain animals back and how it could affect the eco-system.

Ella Petersen (Student 2017)
Ella Petersen

This expanded my thinking by making me realize the pros of de-extinction. I've always been kind of iffy about the topic and this shed some light on some of the really good things de-extinction would be doing.