Dear Maple Amber Wood Guitar

Dear Maple amberwood guitar, I never knew I could be so infatuated and in love with music until I met you. Maybe it was when you caught my eye in the corner of that guitar shop, with your handsome honey like gloss an

When I was younger, I wanted to be a rock star. I wanted to be a teenage rock star living a double life. But here I am now, a teenager, living in a time during covid-19. I decided to write a love letter to my electric guitar because when I think about covid, the first thing that comes to mind is growth. I feel like in some ways my electric guitar has taught me so many things. It taught me to find beauty in a hopeless place. When covid first hit the world, I was terrified. I would sit at home overthinking everything. Over thinking about death, my family and friends, and thinking about everything that can go wrong. I have really bad anxiety and usually how I cope with it is by hanging out with my friends, but now with covid, I can’t escape. There was no one I could turn to and covid was was corrupting my mind. This was also the time when I haven’t played my electric guitar for a little over a year. I remember I’ve always been interested in music, ever since I was about two years old. When I decided to learn electric guitar, I was so passionate about it I would put all my time and energy into learning new songs and melodies. But once school started, my electric guitar was left untouched. I wanted my letter to capture how much music helped me get through these hard times that were extremely rough for me. My passion will always be my safe place, and covid really amplified that hypothesis making it more true every single day. When I first played my electric guitar during quarantine, I was really rusty. I was so focused on getting it right that I perfected a song in one sitting. I wasn’t thinking about covid for the first time ever. I was at peace for the first time in forever and that’s when I realized that music was truly my first love. When I was younger, I wanted to be a rock star. But who would have thought that I would just be a normal teenager, playing her maple amber wood guitar in a world full of catastrophe. So if I ever fulfill my childhood dream of being a rock star, thank you covid for helping me fall so deeply in love with music all over again.

Reese Covalle (Student 2024)
Reese Covalle

I love this letter you write to your guitar as your first love and how it got you through 2020! It really shows love conquers all and has such power in the way you write it too. It's so moving :)