Good Spirits

Death is no new thing, it’s been around since the dawn of animals themselves, and to no person death is avoidable. Death also always come with preconceived notions of sadness and regret, where even in funerals people dress in colours that represent sadness. However, Death itself shouldn’t be feared. Death shouldn’t be feared during life, but looked forward to at a certain time when the afterlife is more appealing.

In multiple religious texts, it represents the afterlife in a positive tone. For example, in the Bible when they talk of the afterlife, “ For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” They talk of the afterlife in a positive tone, saying that the wages of sin, or depending on what happens  during people's’ lifetimes; depends on whether people come over into the afterlife in a positive tone.  For any religious Christian or Catholic, living an eternal life next to Jesus Christ would be the epitome of happiness. He would grant any person, regardless of the amount of sin that you have made in your life.  You’re still granted eternal happiness and life during the afterlife.

Continuing with the use of religious texts, the Bible has tons of quotes about death. “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” The beginning, ‘Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you’, talks of giving love before death, and saying that love isn’t just given but can also be received. In the second half of the quote, it says, ‘not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let your heart not be troubled, neither let it be afraid.’ It says that you should give love to other people before you pass, and not give love to the world.

The afterlife isn’t just something that is used in Catholicism or in the Bible. It’s also used in every religion, with Islam not being an exception. In the Quran, in the chapter Sura, 2:82, “ "But those who have faith and work righteousness, they are companions of the Garden: Therein shall they abide (For ever).” In this quote, it talks of those who have lived a good life, or a life without breaking any sacred rules; are granted life among the Garden for eternity. They’re granted a life after their own life that they worked through, and have the option of living among their gods. Similar to the two bible quotes, the quote from the Quran promises a life that is better than that of the one you had before.

Religious texts and various mother forms of media have portrayed death in both positive and negative matters; but death should be viewed as a positive thing when reaching a certain age. Dying young is a tragic thing, however. . Death shouldn’t be feared during life, but looked forward to at a certain time when the afterlife is more appealing.

"The Rewards of Paradise." Muslims' Belief in Life after Death: Paradise. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2017.

"100 Comforting Bible Verses About Death Of A Loved One." South Africa News | Read Latest SA News on BuzzSouthAfrica.com. N.p., 03 Jan. 2017. Web. 30 Apr. 2017.

"BBC - GCSE Bitesize: Islam and Death." BBC News. BBC, n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2017.

This 2fer is my “best 2fer”, because I followed my own constructive criticisms I had in the self reflective 2fer. I had written that I don’t really explain the research or the quotes that well, and basically repeat the same argument over and over with poor analysis. In this 2fer, I used quotes from religious sources like the Bible and the Quran, and while the analysis wasn’t the best, I still tried the best I could to analyse the quotes.