Descriptive essay: Kodak Moments

6:15 in the morning, sitting at the corner of my bed with my eyes on the clock hoping that time will hopscotch to 7, O’clock, Holding on to my gold bedpost with the cold crisp air coming from the dark skies as I feel the wind hit my skin coming through the window. I only have one thought in my head “ALL OF THESE PEOPLE IN THE HOUSE AND NO ONE ARE OPENING GIFTS?!? THEY’RE CRAZY!” As I lay back down on my bed trying one more time to fall asleep. I feel something vibrating in my sheets, I through my sheets rapidly to see if I have a message from anyone, I Grab my phone to see to see that it’s my mother.

“ Merry Christmas Ron!” She said

“Merry christmas Mom” I happily said back

“I Miss you, I hope to see you soon” Said mother

“ I miss you too mom, I’ll get dad to drop me off today afternoon” I said

We hung up the phone after that, I laid in my sheets panicking to see everyone in my house, even though we’re all family, I was still shy coming around the family like they’re my new classmates in a new school year. I wondered why It’s always been like that between me and my grandparents, laying in my bed staring at the ceiling but my eyes were looking at memories and thoughts about my family... I looked at my phone to realize that it’s peeping 7, O’clock, The night before my father said when It hits 7AM, You’re allowed to leave your room to go down stairs, But I know I’ll end up leaving my room later than that because my father isn’t the lightest sleeper I know, and maybe just because I don’t like to be alone downstairs with my aunt & uncle, grandparents without my father, It’s just something about them I don’t like, I’ve always only been closer to my mother & her side, Well .. Just my mother, I guess it all started when I was a little child, My mother was always there for me, me and everyone else in my family just didn’t click with anyone else, I couldn’t laugh with anyone else like how I laugh with my mother, I just wasn’t as comfortable as I should be with my father, But I was damn sure more comfortable with my father than anyone else in the house.

I remember looking at my phone and I watch it hit 7:05, I slowly get out of my bed because the creeks in my bed make an alarming noise at the time, As I tiptoed to my door I stuck my fingers through it just to take a small peek with my eye to see if there was any sign of life walking down my hallway going down the stairs, All I could see with my left eye was my grandfather walking out of the room to walk downstairs, This sends some peace of mind in my head to let me know that someone is up & I wouldn’t be yelled at if I walked downstairs alone, But I still wanted to wait for my dad.

I opened my door at the way because I felt like I was serving a life sentence in my bedroom. I walked down my hallway on my burgundy carpet passing my bathroom to my right & my computer room towards my left, There is a set of back stairs to walk down other than taking the main way down, I stood there next to my bathroom looking down there to listen for anyone in the kitchen, As I post my eyes by the door, I actually hear my entire family downstairs in the kitchen laughing & cooking morning breakfast, Nasty eggs but I never complained out loud about anything unless I was angry, that never went well.

I slowly walked down the stairs amazed at the fact that it’s christmas morning, but everything really hasn’t hit me yet, apart of me was waking up to a regular day, but the other half of me was still a little child wanted to run to open the biggest gift that they lay there candy addicted eyes on, But I walked down to the kitchen where I learned that even my father was already down there at the stove making breakfast, Would've figured it was my grandparents making it, when I walked in I see my aunt and uncle sitting at the table by my window towards my right when I walk in, everyone screamed “GOOD MORNING RON! MERRY CHRISTMAS!” I awkwardly said hello to everyone with a fake smile like I woke up just to say merry christmas to the family that I don’t like, I sat at my island table towards the end at the back door hoping I’ll go unnoticed but that doesn’t usually work, depressing it doesn’t, My grandfather turns her body around the table to look at me and start a small talk conversation with me.

“Merry Christmas Ron, are you excited this morning” Grandmother said

“Same to you, Yes I am “ I said

Everyone but my father left the kitchen & Being the shy Anti family person I am, I chose to wait for my father as we cleans up the kitchen and collects everyone’s plates. My dad & I didn’t really have a very close relationship, but it was closer than everyone elses in the house, That’s a sad story. but it’s whatever.

We all got in a circle around my family room & said a prayer to be blessed on christmas morning, I held my fathers hand on my right, & my grandfathers hand on my left, My grandfather lead the prayer as he always does, It was short and sweet, everyone dropped hands and began to give each other gifts with dead christmas tree parts on it from sitting under the tree to long, everyone was opening gifts, my grandmother handed me one, Now I didn’t ask for much but money & a pair of Dre beats, from my expectations on previous years, I figured I was already going to be handed what I wanted, But instead I was handed a jean jacket that didn’t fit, and looked like a cowboy’s jacket, meanwhile I look to the corner of my eye & all I see is my uncle opening an IPAD 2 from my aunt, I brushed it off though, Christmas wasn’t over yet.

I opened up another gift that my grandmother gave to me, It was the Dre beats that I’ve been asking for, my eyes lit up like the fourth of july, I had a smile doing ear to ear, I know my christmas was better than ever, suddenly I was in the christmas mood, I felt like everything was finally coming into place, but Did I feel that way because I only got the gift? At first, Yes, But it opened my mind, to look at everyone’s reactions when they each got a gift from each other, the bear hugs given, all of the Kodak moments that were being made, I knew none of them were being missed because my grandfather just loved to hold history and take photo’s of every family get together.

This whole Time I know I’ve never been the closet to my family, but I still take hold times like these because I know they’ll never come back, and these are the people that will be with my until the end, I know I love my father, & the rest of the family I will in due time, But right now I just want to enjoy this moment.