Dia Johnson Food BM

Gravlox-

Recipe:

2 1/2 pounds fresh salmon, center cut

1/2-cup salt

1/4 cup granulated sugar

20 coarsely crushed white peppercorns

About 2 ounces chopped fresh dill

Steps:

1. Clean salmon; cut in fillets. Do not remove skin.
  2. Wipe fish dry with paper towel; do not rinse.
  3. Rub fish with salt mixed with sugar.
  4. Sprinkle part of salt mixture and some dill in a deep enamel or stainless steel baking dish.
  5. Place 1 piece salmon, skin side down, in dish and sprinkle generously with dill, crushed peppercorn and salt mixture.
  6. Cover with second piece of salmon, skin side up.
  7. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture.
  8. Cover with aluminum foil and a lightweight, such as a chopping board.
  9. Refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 days.
  10. Turn salmon every day.
  11. Keep for 1 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
  12. To serve, cut in slices free from the skin. 
  13. Garnish with lettuce, dill and lemon wedges. It may also be served with the sauce.
  14. Sauce -
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

15. 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

16. 1-tablespoon sugar

17. 1/3-teaspoon salt

18. 1 pinch white pepper

19. 2/3 tablespoon prepared mustard

20. 2/3 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
  21. Shake or beat all ingredients together except dill.
  22. Add dill or serve it from a separate bowl.

Nutritional Information:

Calories: 121

Total Fat: 6.2g

Cholesterol: 33mg

Sodium: 1356mg

Total carbs: 2.9g

Analysis:

I chose the Gravlox as a meal because it is healthy and simple. Aside from its simplicity it is also an interesting dish that not many I am sure have heard of. According to the reviews, the dish seems to be a favorite of many people. The food itself is natural; there is an absence of any processed factors. The fish you can get from a market and the other ingredients are just seasonings, and sauces. With such simple ingredients, there is obviously a lack of many health concerns. The only issue that our bodies will face is the amount of sodium in the dish. To some the saltiness is obnoxiously present but aside from enjoyment our bodies have to worry about the rising of our blood pressure. The kidney is put to work to recalculate and regulate the processing of sodium that is already present in our body. With the addition of the sodium from this dish, we are at risk of increasing the pressure of our blood but it isn’t expected that people will eat this dish regularly. Compared to processed food/ fast foods, this is definitely the better choice. It is simple, economically pleasing and healthy. Fish markets I do not believe create problems in the food industry when it comes to affecting the economy. As for this dish I believe it is of the few that are smart and easy.

REFLECTION:

This food chapter has opened my eyes to the true colors of the food industry. I have been made aware of the many harsh methods the workers use to slaughter the animals brutally. Aside from animal abuse I have learned that the larger industry feeds off of the popularity of organic advertisement. It is a way in which the industry attracts its customers to buy more of their products. The down side of this method is that the organic foods are not truly organic. Being truly organic results in the food product having the USDA seal, which implies that the product is at least 95% organic. The dark side of this is that the organic we think of is not the reality; it also has chemical additives, which are not labeled out in the open. A way to solve this clouded understanding of the food industry is by making more individuals aware of the false advertisement. We can also share our interest in true organic foods. If we make more people interested in the real organic foods we can help mend the wound of the farmers market industries.  Overall the world is a corrupt place and the food industry does not fall short of the stick. 

FOOD RULE SLIDE:

1000x1000
1000x1000