Dog Ownership

Aside from the benefits of having a lifelong companion, having a dog holds a lot of unexpected perks as well. To start off, a common issue with owning a pet happens to be allergies that are triggered through dander and fur, and while this is true for a lot of families, those who happen to have smaller children with a dog actually have a greater chance of not having these allergies. This is because of the exposure to these allergens from an earlier age allows the body to adapt to having them within it’s system. The child is young enough to have a buildup within their immune system, which cancels out the negative effect that an allergen can have when first entering the body, as they become quite literally immune to it. This isn’t the case for every animal, however, as cats actually have the adverse effect.

Dogs are also known for provoking happiness in many people. Petting, playing, or even simply looking at a dog triggers the brain to release a chemical called oxytocin, which inhibits an elevated mood. These levels are increased, causing a happier outlook. The same can be said for walking a dog in order to combat stress. The act of physically moving releases endorphins, a natural pain-killer which assist sleep and in turn helps sleep and lowers one’s stress. Aside from the physical aspects of it, playing with an animal is typically an enjoyable experience, which in turn generally proves to be something worthwhile in doing.

Another fun fact about owning a dog comes in the form of the immune system. As dogs are made up completely differently than humans, their bodies are made up of different bacteria types, which can vary from the bacteria found within the human body. Now, while this may sound like a bad thing, these bacteria can be passed through to their owner. This allows the immune system to create a variety of different antibodies, usually increasing the amount in the system overall, which is a good sign, as an increase in this mechanism allows one to get sick much less. Studies have shown that dog owners are less likely to get sick than their petless counterparts.

Placing this into the real world, dogs have a pretty high standing. Because of their stress reducing qualities, symptoms of depression and anxiety can be lowered for individuals  suffering from those disorders. Even suffers of depression or those with suicidal thoughts have a reason to stay alive and get active on days that appear to be too much to handle. Walking dogs can improve heart health, and can lower the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure, which lowers the chances of future heart attacks. Emotional support dogs and seeing eye dogs are beneficial to those with vision problems, or those who have emotional disabilities, and can prove to be quite useful in these situations. Dogs can also be social object, as different breeds can often be used as a conversation starter, allowing those who wouldn’t normally socialize to have the chance to do so. Did I mention how adorable dogs are in general?

This relates back to myself in a lot of different ways. While I’m not a dog owner myself, I do have a guinea pig, which could technically be considered the same thing. Having a dog would greatly improve my emotional and social life, as well as allow me to be more physically active, as playing with a dog isn’t a super intense workout, but provides just the right amount of physical activity. The dogs I know are already extremely friendly and really entertaining. All of this, plus every other benefit really makes getting a dog a great addition to future plans! Not only are they extremely cute and cuddly, but they provide a lifetime of really awesome benefits!

Sources Cited 

Alleyne, R. (2010, September 29). Pet dogs reduce allergies in children, but cats increase them. Retrieved April 07, 2016, from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/8032594/Pet-dogs-reduce-allergies-in-children-but-cats-increase-them.html

Hoffer, S. (2011, July 13). Study Shows Pet Ownership Has Psychological Benefits. Retrieved April 07, 2016, from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/13/pets-psychological-benefits-study_n_897022.html

O'Connor, A. (2013, May 09). Owning a Dog Is Linked to Reduced Heart Risk. Retrieved April 07, 2016, from http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/heart-association-weighs-in-on-pets/?_r=0