Eamonn Carey

My capstone is soundproofing/sound dampening the room attached to the music room. When I first heard about the project I wasn’t entirely sure what I was signing up for but I had heard how loud the music room was and I needed a capstone. I immediately set out researching different products and methods and which would work best for our situation. Once I’d done that I started comparing different brands based on their price, effectiveness, and accessibility. I haven’t finished the installation yet, but I think it will turn out great. I am hopeful that next year and the years following even more kids will get to use this room and use it without damaging their hearing. I imagine all of the future bands and musicians that will start in this room, and I can’t wait.

The picture above is of the music studio after decluttering and reorganizing. As of submitting this I have not yet begun on the addition of the sound dampening panels or the rugs in the studio. I plan to install both of these things within the upcoming week. I also did a lot of research for this project, I had to look into different methods of soundproofing, which materials would be best, and which brands were most reputable. I also researched how to install the materials that we are planning on using.

Pictured above is my top down drawing of the music studio. Within the drawing I have dimensions of the room and it’s walls, I did this so that Mr. Clapper and I would have a rough estimate of how much materials to buy. To find this out though I had to take the length and height of the walls and calculate how much area we would need to cover, I initially thought this would be very easy, but I forgot to convert the units so it ended up taking longer than anticipated.

Annotated Bibliography: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10BqjtcdNE0TFHxUaxeLl26MwqOxyLTmHksfL8AqaqXQ/edit?usp=sharing