Edwin Eidell Capstone

My Senior Capstone project is based on building furniture if you live in a low-income household. I wanted to figure out how viable it would be to build furniture if you couldn’t buy it. I made two different types of chairs as well as a coffee table with minimal materials. The most advanced tool used was an impact driver. To start, I made a chair based on what I thought I knew about making furniture. The chair was not sturdy, but it worked. It was very cheap to manufacture at around 15$ worth of wood. The coffee table I made is a very nice piece that is all handcrafted and very sturdy. It cost around 20$ to manufacture not including tools. The final chair I made was much more sturdy and it looks more appealing than the first chair. It supports a lot of weight and is relatively comfortable. I am currently sitting on it to write this paragraph. By doing this project, I learned that making furniture can be fun and rewarding. However, it is not very realistic for someone in a low-income household because of the cost for tools and materials. Tools make the project much more expensive.
Mr. Kamal sitting on my chair
Mr. Kamal sitting on my chair
The products of my project
The products of my project
Annotated Bibliography for Capstone