Emulation Handbook: Paulo Coelho

Nile Ward Emulation Handbook

Ayala Silverman (Student 2019)
Ayala Silverman

Jacobino woke up on a cold, cloudy Saturday morning with a raging headache. The boy woke up stiffer than a board and half off his bed. The boy rolled the rest of the way off his bed and stared up at his dusty ceiling. He grunted as he sat up and surveyed the dark room. His door was slightly opened and he dragged himself off the floor to make his way to the door.

A few minutes later, the boy was crouching on his bottom stair and trying to make his headache go away. The boy heard clinking from his kitchen and groaned as he stood up. The clinking continued and the boy ground his teeth. He knew who it was, but he didn’t know why they were here. The boy got to the kitchen and saw his cups being rearranged. The boy’s kitchen was spotless, but not because of him. A wind blew by the boy, and he squinted in the direction it came from. He saw the faint outline of the girl and sighed.

“Why did you come back?” the boy whispered.

Your handbook was incredibly helpful while I was writing this scene. In your handbook, the elements were explained really well and made writing them into my scene much easier.