Encouraging the Voters

This was the first election I really got involved in and even though I can not vote yet it felt good to be a part of the process and encouraging others to vote and make their voices heard. Overall it was a interesting experience. I had been excited the day before to pass out the flyers and looking official with the key chain and card, so this morning I got up got dressed, put on my red lipstick (I had heard red was a power color and that people are more likely to pay attention and take you serious if you wear red), got my materials and headed out.
           I walked around my neighborhood and to local businesses to hand out flyers. I tread up and down Broad St with a smile asking people if they had voted and giving voting information along with the flyers. I ran into a few people that said they did not vote, that voting was not worth the effort because it was the same thing no matter what nothing ever changes. I was shocked at first but my answer to them was if  don't make it a point to put your opinion on the ballot and you don't support the candidates that have similar values to you how do you expect change to happen? You, yourself is preventing change from happening by not voting. For my interview I interviewed an older man who owns a barber shop a few blocks from my home. I asked him the the following questions and he answered:

1) What motivated you to come out and vote?
" I'm from the old school. I was around during the civil rights movement and I know how important it is to use the rights we faught for."

2) What would you like to see changed in our political system?
" There should be a cap on the amount of money candidates can spend on elections.

3) Do you vote in every election?
"Yes every election."

5) Where have you encountered the highest amount of ad campaigning?
" The most on T.V."

6) What was the most memorable campaign That you have encountered? "There was one Mayor Nutter had were he used his daughter in the ad. That's what got me to vote for him. I regret that now." 

7) Are you always sure of who you are going to vote for when you walk into the booth or are you still deliberating? "Yes" 

8) What changes do you hope to see in Philadelphia as a result of this election? "I hope to see budget changes and more reasonable spending."