English Q1 Benchmark

To Kill a Mockingbird

I have never been to Alabama before, but in Harper Lee’s, To Kill a Mockingbird he makes me feel as though I’m reliving a part of life that I never got to experience. In To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee decides to bring back the big thrilling situations into teen novels writing fiction based books. The story sets place in the small town of Maycomb, Alabama, which is going through a small crisis. Scout Finch, the narrator and main character narrates many of the adventures that him and his friends in 1935. As the group of kids go on adventures throughout the neighborhood they start to become mischievous.

The authors purpose of writing this suspense filled novel was to get across to the audience of middle school aged kids and teenagers about a story that evolves around kids the same age as themselves. Throughout the text the author uses many examples of propaganda and symbolism to give predicaments of what will happen next in the story. Boo Radley and Scout Finch was the authors goto person to show that the story reveals a more deep meaning background.

Scout Finch, the main character and narrator of events makes me feel as though I am experiencing the events with them. The characters evolved around him helps him get a point that the trials they go through makes her feel as though she is relating to me. This book is filled with many characters of different types of backgrounds. Go and read this book to learn the many untold stories and hidden secrets that this small town foreshadows. Characters like Boo Radley are a spark to why the story has suspense and unknown details. Many other characters like Atticus, Calpurnia, Jem, Dill, and more also play a big roll too.

One reason why someone should read this book is because it makes you want to come back and read more of the exclusive suspense of events. If you’re a person especially just like me who doesn’t really like to read a lot of books or doesn’t have the time this book will keep you in interest of finishing it. This Pulitzer Prize winning novel has multiple themes and life learned lessons that can be very useful to know about. 

This book effected me in a way that makes me want to read more genre relating books by Harper Lee. To Kill a Mockingbird gave me the excitement that I never have had from reading books. I was inspired to read this book because growing up I knew many older kids in higher grades who were reading this book and saying how good it is, however it didn’t catch my attention until I read it many years later. You should check this book out near a local library and read it for yourself.

Lover’s Dictionary

Lover’s Dictionary by David Levithan is a good book to read if you’d like to enrich things in your love life. In David Levithan’s first adult novel he decides to add a little spice into his books in which this one is aimed towards all age categories. This book makes you feel all kinds of emotions after you’ve finished reading it. 211 pages of new vocabulary, meanings, and descriptions of identity of love. Levithan’s goal in this book was to write dictionary entries in which was from A through Z explaining the different meanings of relationships, ups and downs, couple issues, and other things involved with love related topics. The author was inspired to write this book after he got an idea after a valentines day one year, then he decided to post his ideas of what love is on many levels and published Lover’s Dictionary sometime in the year of 2011.

After reading this book it made my mind expand to a different level that many people don’t know what to do in a relationship or reacting with ones they love until they read this book. 

Creative Response:

lov-ers {noun} \ˈlə-vərs\                                 

dic-tio-nary {noun} \ˈdik-shə-ˌner-ē, -ˌne-rē\      Lover’s Dictionary {noun}

: a very exciting and fulfilling book filled with tips and information on how to enrich your love life, which include dictionary entries on love, relationship tips, and more based related topics.

Book Information: 

Title

Author 

Publisher

Date of Publication

Number of Pages

Genres

To Kill A Mocking Bird 

Harper Lee

J.B. Lippincott  & Co. 

July 11th, 1960

296 (first edition, hardback)

Fiction

Lovers Dictionary 

David Levithan

Farrar, Straus & Giroux

January 4th 2011

211 (hardcover)

Fiction

Bibliography:

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2013/jun/29/review-harper-lee-to-kill-a-mockingbird 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2657.To_Kill_a_Mockingbird

http://blogcritics.org/book-review-the-lovers-dictionary-a/