Ep. 2 Text Interpreters (Preston, Cindy, Shawn, Hillary, Zahli)

In episode 2, we discuss five different perspectives/lenses to view the story. Using textual evidence, personal experiences, and connections to the real world, the Text Interpreters attempt to engage audience in a thought-provoking podcast episode. Watch the episode to find out which five lenses the hosts explore!

Textual Evidence-

“I could not even thank him, for once, when I did, for an especially spectacular peppermint lollipop wrapped in a spray of purple cellophane, he had demanded, ‘What is this thank-you? The lady at the bank thanks me, the cashier at the shop thanks me, the librarian thanks me when I return an overdue book, the overseas operator thanks me as she tries to connect me to Dacca and fails. If I am buried in this country I will be thanked, no doubt, at my funeral.” p.29

“Professor’s wife, responsible and kind, I will care for your child in my home.” p.111

“By my estimate Mrs. Sen should have her driver’s license by December.” p.113

“She refused to let Eliot walk around when she was chopping.” p. 114-115

“For the rest of the days that I am married.. Like a wedding ring, you mean?” p. 117

“She sat, exhausted, on the edge of the bed, where there was now barely room for her. ‘They think I live the life of a queen, Elliot.’ She looked around the blank walls of the room.’They think I press buttons and the house is clean. They think I live in a palace.” p. 125

“You could sweep the attic. You could retouch the paint in the bathroom windowsill…” p.141

“Now he had one, a pretty one, from a suitably high caste, who would soon have a master’s degree.” p.148

Sukainah Hasan (Student 2021)
Sukainah Hasan

I really liked how you guys engaged in the characters traits and pointed out important events that has happened throughout the book so far. This gives readers an understanding and also different point of views about this specific book.