Extra Credit Assignment

For the 1st quarter our benchmark for statistics was to calculate the consumer price index for different grocery stores. The Consumer Price Index is a measure of the average change over time in the prices paid by urban consumers for a market basket of consumer goods and services. It measures changes through time in the price level of consumer goods and services purchased by households.

We worked in groups of three to collect prices of different grocery store items. My group investigated Shop Rite, Acme, and Fresh Grocer. We collected prices on items like bottled water, cereal, ice cream, bread, and chips. We used statistics by calculating the mean prices for each item in each store. After we got the mean we calculated the five number summary and IQR’s for the items. We displayed our information on box plots and histograms. We calculated this information for all three grocery stores.

This benchmark helped me better understand grocery store prices. It helped me choose which store was more beneficial to shop at when it comes to saving. I learned that all stores are not the same. Sometimes prices differ because of the brands of food or just because of where it is sold. I noticed that the same items that were sold at Acme and Shop rite were considerably lower than the items sold at the Fresh Grocer. We connected this to the neighborhood the Fresh Grocer was in. Stores in wealthy neighborhood tend to have higher prices.

How it connected to the core values:

·      Inquiry: Are question was to find the consumer price index of different grocery stores.

·      Research: We each went out to different stores to collect prices of different items.

·      Collaboration: We worked in a group of three.

·      Presentation: We presented our findings to the class in a keynote

·      Reflection: We included reflection questions in our presentation to show what we learned from the project.