Father?!

CHAPTER 1

My father is a supernatural creature. He feigns humanity, imitating those who surround him, and he does so quite well, if I may say so. It took me many years to first recognize the signs, ignorance and naivete shrouding me from his true nature.

Now before I delve into the particulars that led to my shocking realization, I must first let you know, Reader, that I do love the man and will continue to do so be him homosapien or something else. I cannot hold his natural form as a fault against his character, he is a swell man, pardon me, creature, to know.

To recommence the story of my "awakening", as it  has come to be called in certain semi-circles and octagons, my suspicions were first aroused by the cats. It started with one, a black cat who made a home for himself on our porch. He was quiet, refrained from eating my mother's flowers, and proved a wonderful neighbor. None of us in the house paid him any mind. By the next week there were four cats, varying in color and appearance and not nearly as quiet as the first tenant. The end of the month welcomed ten more. With such an inexplicable number of cats now living directly outside of my house, I started to search for a reason why. Initially I assumed that they were two opposing cat gangs who had moved onto the same turf and were recruiting members to prepare for the imminent gang war, as is always the case in such situations, but a few minutes of observation proved that theory false. These cats were waiting for something. For a moment I thought that someone in the house had taken to feeding our feline friends but my mother's dislike of cats, my indifference, my sister's disdain for full-grown animals, and my father's dog preference proved that an impossibility. This left but one other option in my always rational mind… magic. There must be something magical happening in my house, something otherworldly, something just waiting for me to discover it.
With this new tidbit of information, I began a new round of observations. I watched closely for when the cats appeared and to where they wandered. They arrived on our porch at night and circled the basement windows… the windows to my father's lair. This is when I knew whatever magical thing that was occurring in my house took place there and my father was involved. Cats  do not lie.