2fer #7 - The Dreamers

Seyni Ndaw

2fer #7

In the movie The Dreamers, an American boy named Matthew has traveled abroad to study cinema in Paris. There, he meets two siblings named Isabelle and Theo. Although all three get along, their dynamics shift between them as pairs and inevitably causes tension overtime. As the movie progresses, the viewer observes how Matthew’s position in the trio develops until a point where he is cast out due to his inability to fully fit in. Despite the growing romance between Isabelle and Matthew, she still chooses Theo over him in the end, showing that she was willing to sacrifice a new kind of love (romantic) for one she already knew (platonic). Through this, the viewer can see how the fear of the unknown conflicts with the notion of love at first sight, and people will often choose what they know because it offers security and stability.   

Aaron Ben-Zeev writes an article called, “Is Love at First Sight Possible?”. He writes, “The first argument implies that romantic love consists not merely of attraction to external appearance, which is the basis of sexual desire, but also of knowing the agent's character traits, such as kindness, honesty, wisdom and a sense of humor. Such knowledge cannot be present at first sight, as it requires familiarity and common history.” In other words, love at first sight is rooted in sexual attraction and not what many people believe ‘love’ to be, which presents itself to be a deeper connection than just sex. Real love requires having an understanding of a person’s traits and what makes them who they are. This is an idea that is explored throughout the movie. In the beginning of the movie, Matthew finds himself at a protest/demonstration and he is surrounded by ‘film buffs’. He spots Isabelle, and when the two make eye contact she asks him to remove her cigarette since she has chained herself to a gate. Later in the movie, Matthew admits he was attracted to her from the moment he saw her. He says, “When I saw you and Theo at the Cinemathque, you looked so cool, so sophisticated- like a movie star.” to which Isabelle responds, “I was. I was acting, Matthew.” This interaction supports how love at first sight is a rather superficial notion- the whole reason Matthew found himself attracted to Isabelle was based in fable and a dissociation from reality. Not only is this relevant to Matthew and Isabelle’s relationship, but the trio’s dynamic in general. Isabelle and Theo’s shared love for cinema causes them to be rather removed from reality, which makes it increasingly difficult for Matthew to fit in with them.

In this scene, Isabelle and Theo propose beating a world record with Matthew. The record is based off a film in which three friends run through Louvre in 9 minutes and 45 seconds. Matthew expresses concern that he could be deported if they are caught. Isabelle says, “Matthew, this is a test. Are you going to pass it or fail it?” This is the first time in the movie that Matthew’s commitment to the group is tested. This further emphasizes how Theo and Isabelle base their standards off cinema rather than real life and make it hard for people who aren’t them to understand them. They end up beating the record by 17 seconds, at which point Isabelle and Theo chant, “We accept him, one of us! We accept him, one of us!” which, too, is based off a film.

The trio goes on like this for a while, giving each other difficult tasks to complete even if it makes them uncomfortable. One of the tasks includes Isabelle and Matthew having sex at Theo’s command. Although the two were consenting and had interest in each other, it was deliberate for Isabelle’s virginity to be lost as Theo orchestrated. The siblings have a control over each other that toes the line of platonic and romantic, which inevitably makes Matthew uncomfortable and confused. Matthew makes several attempts to convince Isabella to invest in their new love, confessing to her a number of times. Despite her having feelings for him, Isabelle cannot let go of Theo.

In one scene, when all three are sharing a bubble bath, Matthew tells Isabelle he loves her. She says, “I love you too, Matthew,” and he responds, “Yeah, but I really love you.” Isabelle goes, “I really, really love you too. We both do. Don’t we, Theo?” Theo agrees, but with little emotion in his voice. It is at this point where Matthew expresses his frustrations with the two for the first time. He doesn’t want them to say they love him just because the other did, or group their love for him together. He wants them to be able to say they love him as individuals and mean it. The two laugh at him and think he is being dramatic. Isabelle rebuttals his point and says, “There’s no such thing as love, only proofs of love. Are you ready to give us proof of your love?” Matthew readily agrees and they all get out of the tub. Theo and Isabelle try to shave his pubic hair, and at this point he reaches his breaking point. He calls them crazy, and Isabelle exclaims, “It’s just a game!” Matthew calls them out for their childish ways and trying to drag him into it. He continues and tells them they will never grow if they keep clinging to each other the way they do. His outburst temporarily upsets them but otherwise has no lasting impact. Theo and Isabelle have created a codependent life for themselves that traces back to childhood habits they have yet to let go of. Essentially, they are in a bubble. It’s impossible to place something inside a bubble that isn’t already there without popping it. Deep down Matthew knows this, but he continues to try. It isn’t until the end of the movie where he realizes there is truly no hope.

In the last sequence, the three of them wake up to a protest happening in the middle of the night. Theo finds a group of his school friends as they are distributing glass bottles with explosive chemicals. Matthew tries to stop him, causing Theo to grow increasingly angry. Matthew tries to get Isabelle to stay with him, but she sadly shakes her head and goes with Theo. Matthew looks at the two longingly as he realizes he cannot continue to be close with them; they can never love him the same way they love each other. Matthew slowly walks back into the crowd of protesters, turning his back on Isabelle and Theo forever.

Although The Dreamers may only seem important to those who enjoy foreign films, it should in fact interest anyone inquiring the truth about love. Throughout the movie, the viewer is anticipating Isabelle to finally realize her relationship with her brother is unhealthy and commit to Matthew. However, it is Matthew that ends up alone. The end of the movie shows that love at first sight holds little to no substance, and that love with familiarity and security is often the first choice.

I believe this is my best 2fer because I was able to keep focus throughout the essay and these are probably the best transitions I've written between paragraphs all year. My main idea was love at first sight vs. love with familiarity and security, and I was able to focus on this idea and use supporting evidence from the movie. I also did my best not to have my essay turn into a detailed plot explanation, and I think I did a good job with that.

Works CIted

Ben-Zeév, Aaron. "Is Love at First Sight Possible?" Psychology Today. Sussex Publishers, 17 Nov. 2013. Web. 30 Apr. 2017.

The Dreamers. Dir. Bernardo Bertolucci. Perf. Eva Green and Michael Pitt and Louis Garrel. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2017.