Final Food Benchmark

Screen shot 2011-11-09 at 10.28.48 AM

Macaroni Salad 

Recipe:

◦ Macaroni – Whole box

◦ Vegetable oil – 2 caps

◦ Salt – 1tbs.

◦ Butter – 1 TBSP.

◦ Parsley Pereil – N/A

◦ Turkey Ham – A Whole Slice Of Turkey Ham Cut Up

◦ Bacon Pieces: Bacon Flavored Bites – N/A

◦ Peas - Half Of A Can

◦ Dry White Cooking Wine – 4 Drops

Steps On How It Was Made:

1. Stir macaroni into 6 cups boiling water
  2. 1 tsp. of salt into the pot
  3. Boil rapidly 7 to 10 minuets or until macaroni is tender
  4. Drain the macaroni
  5. Put it into a bowl (or wherever you want to put it at)
  6. Grabbed 1 slice of turkey ham
  7. Sliced the ham into little boxes
  8. Put it into the salad
  9. Pour 2 caps of vegetable oil
  10. 1 TBSP. of butter
  11. Mix it up
  12. Pour some parsley into the bowl, doesn’t matter how much you pour but what I did was I shacked it once or twice so that it can have some type of taste to it
  13. Same with the bacon pieces, you can pour how much you want into your salad but I shacked it a little once or twice so that it can have flavor
  14. Pour half of a can of peas
  15. 4 Drops of white wine
MIX IT ALL UP & you’ll get a macaroni salad

Self Reflection:
 I’ve learned a lot since I’ve had science and society. In this class we talked and read about the big food vs. big Insurance op-ed basically the op-ed talked about how three-quarters of health care spending now goes to treat “preventable chronic diseases.” Not all of these diseases are linked to diet, there’s smoking, for instance. We also learned about cancer and one of the articles we had to read was a cure for cancer? Eating a plant based diet, and that article talked about how one out of every two of us will get cancer or heart disease and die from it. And starting in the year 2000, one out of every three children who are born after that year will develop diabetes. We also talked about sugar prices. My mom also said that cooking at home can be a healthier and cheaper solution, the effects of diabetes can be reversed with a good diet and that eating healthy is much easier when you have a simple food rule to live by because buying stuff from the store or from the cart isn’t healthy. I think its better if you cook at home then buy junk at the store or from anywhere else it’s way healthier if you cook at home because usually my mom would buy mostly healthy stuff for the house even though me, my brother and my sisters love junk food on regular basics.

Food Rule:
This is a statement my mom always said to me when i used to always buy random things in the store and eat anything i had in my house. I thought this was a good rule because i thought it was true, you cant trust everything you eat, what if its old or have something in it that you don't know about.

Screen shot 2011-11-10 at 3.00.39 PM
Screen shot 2011-11-10 at 3.00.39 PM