Final Stamp Design

​Mystery and loss and no strangers in my life. I have gone through a lot of dark times where I've lost what I loved. My words were as mentioned, mystery and loss, but also sustenance. I've developed a durability over time that I now use to protect me from the effects of loss. "Take no more" conveys my strength to go on through times of discord. The scythe represents death of course, and all that He has taken from me. That adds to the constant that I can withstand what He may give me. 
I knew that I wanted to do something relating to that theme. With my first sketches, I kept negative space in mind but didn't draw my image around it. In one of the previous assignments where we had to practice cutting out negative and positive space, I had some trouble figuring out what parts should be positive or negative. My other sketches were complicated and intricate, and knowing that I had so much trouble with the practice version, I wanted to have as few pieces as possible. The ribbon, scythe, and quote remained throughout all of the versions, with varying amounts of detail and added elements. I found that have the three pieces, without anything else, would be the most powerful because there aren't any distractions. 
Figuring out which parts of my drawing would be negative or positive space was a struggle. As I went through, in all honesty, close to seven sketches of the final, I found that I could use negative space to my advantage. Small details such as the changing direction in the ribbon became enhanced by cut outs. I also knew beforehand that making the lettering negative and not positive space would come out cleaner, as to not crumple each separate piece of paper. That caused the ribbon to be positive space. The scythe itself was always positive space, just because I thought that such a dark symbol should contrast with the rest of it in the darkest fashion possible. 
Throughout my life, I have been surrounded by tattoo artists. When I was homeschooled, I would go to work with my mom where I would color in copies of tattoo sketches. When I got a little older, I started drawing my own, fascinated by the clashing of the ribbon or scroll and lettering. The kinds of tattoos I was exposed to were diverse, but the ones that I remember depended heavily on negative and positive space. When I draw now, I think I too depend on it, as I like line drawings that form single shapes. I didn't have too much trouble with the concept of the negative and positive space in my own design, just the given template earlier on. The biggest issue throughout all of the assignments was cutting them out with a blade. I don't think that my poor motor and anger management skills had much to do with the concept though. If I took away two things through all of this, it's that a drawing is never final and working with layers enhances contrast. I plan to take these skills into my own sketchbook as well as the rest of this course.