Final Stamp Design

artstamp

The assignment was to cut out a design for a stamp in negative space. We had to pick a symbol or a design that reflected our personality. I have always identified with my astronomical sign, Aries. I knew that I wanted to add it into my stamp because it is a big part of my identity. I also wanted the piece to be simple and striking. I decided of coloring half of the S because it is defined and sleek. I wasn’t sure how I would put these two symbols into one stamp, but I didn’t want them to be separate. I decided on an overlapping design and I’m glad that it turned out the way I envisioned it. Explain the importance of negative and positive space and how you used it in your design. Negative space allows the view to see your piece exactly the way you want them to. It makes your piece stand out with bold color. I used negative space by cutting away the parts that I didn’t want the viewer to see. I kept the dark, solid outlines and the middle of the S to help convey the message of my personality. One thing that I learned was that colored paper is very helpful. I drew and pasted my stamp on white paper, when I should have cut it out on black paper. This would have allowed the black parts to stand out even more. Ms. Hull also said that I would have trouble cutting out thin lines, so I made them thicker. This not only made it easier to cut out, I also helps the stamp with its striking image.