Fracking: Lobbying Blog Post #1

​      Recently, a lot of commotion has gone on about fracking in the Marcellus Shale and how the government is fracking in the Marcellus Shale to release the trapped gas in the rock formation. You might be wondering, what is Marcellus Shale? Marcellus Shale is a geological formation that was formed by the accumulation of sediment into a sea. It stretches all the way from New York all the way through Kentucky, Virginia, and even Ohio. Scientists recently a few years ago discovered that gas was trapped in the huge geological formation, and were excited to see natural gas in huge amounts come from it.

That is why scientists use a process called hydraulic fracturing or for short "fracking", to retrieve that gas. Fracking is a process that entails drilling down and creating tiny explosions to shatter shale rocks to release the natural gas trapped inside. Water, sand and chemicals are injected into the rock at high pressure which basically cracks the rock from the top and allows the natural gas flow out. The process can create new pathways to release gas or can be used to extend existing channels, and that is why it is the most efficient process. So right now you might be thinking: "Wow, fracking is so awesomee! It has so many upsides to it, why would you want to lobby it?" Though fracking may open up so many new jobs for America and provide tons of natural gas for America, possibly making it its own natural resource, lower pollution/emissions/greenhouse gases, and advance America a big step, there is controversy with it. Fracking requires tons of water. 3-5 million gallons of water are required per well, and many of the sites have multiple wells, so do the math and thats ALOT of water. This water needs to come from somewhere, and that could have a big impact on water supplies. Fracking also pollutes tons of water because of the many toxic chemicals that are involved in the fluid that is released down to crack the rock. That water gets contaminated and not only is it not safe if it gets into water bodies, but all the water has to go somewhere. Also one of the main concerns is it contaminates ground water and gets into tap water of the area, which if someone were to drink that water, it could get that person very sick. On top of that, The Pennsylvania Gas Legislation Act does not allow residents from regulating/taxing the fracking companies for any damage or anything done to the environment there.

I chose to lobby fracking because of my experience with fracking in Mr. Best's class. I found it really appealing and interesting to read and talk about, and I instantly had thoughts and opinions on it based on the information and articles I had read. I am lobbying against it, as I did in Mr. Best's class. Fracking may be a huge finding and probably would be great for America, but are the lives of Americans really worth it? Is damaging the environment worth it? Is contamination in our own homes with nothing we can say or do about it really fair? I don't really think so. Fracking may have some positives, but they don't really negate all of the negatives. My goal is to see fracking put to an end really, but really mainly focusing on seeing what is put in the water conataminating it, rules put down so that any damage done to us can be repaid or fixed (having a say), and in general fixing the effect fracking has on us as Americans.

There are many people supporting my lobbying idea. For example, The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are doing many things such as doing a study to find out the relationship between fracking and drinking water resources. There are tons of other groups such as
Food & Water Watch, Frack Action, Democracy for America, Friends of the Earth, Credo Action, Center for Heath Environment and Justice, Catskill Mountainkeeper and Citizen Action New York. They are all standing up for not only the environment, but for the citizens and the safety of the American people. Some people against my lobbying idea are the big oil companies such as Exxon and others that say that fracking is good, can provide alot, and the chemicals used aren't even alot, they are just "required" to perform the process. Exxon seems to be concerned, but they really dont want to lose fracking, especially since they made a 35 million dollar bet on shale gas.

There hasnt been much response to protestors and such from the government, but I recently heard and was told by Mr. Best that Governer Corbett put down rules and regulations that require fracking companies to state what they are doing, and how the fracking has an effect. There is still time for action, and hopefully that action is taken soon to really make change to the downfall of fracking.