Frisbee Artist Statement

Artist Statement:

Last Spring, I played for my school’s ultimate Frisbee team and that was one of the best team sports I have ever played on. I am not really a big fan of team sports but my school’s Ultimate Frisbee team really changed that perspective. I learned that not all sports are the same. I always like incorporating my life in my projects so for the Physics Circuit Project; I chose to use a Frisbee as my foundation. When incorporating my partner’s interests, we chose use orange tape because my partner’s favorite color is orange. We both really like the sport that we play outside of school and we wanted to show to the viewers that it is important to stay active…whether it is in a school gym or outside of school. I knew that I wanted the rim of the Frisbee to light up so the players could play the Frisbee at night and not have any trouble finding it when it was lit up. The Frisbee would also look really cool in the air at night or in the dark. I also wanted to make the Frisbee as convenient and functional as possible.
        I started my process by drawing out the circuit diagram for the inside of my Frisbee.  In the end, my circuit diagram is in two different sets of series that are parallel to each other. After that, my partner and I drew out the schematics, drilled the holes, and connected the wires to the bulbs and battery. The hardest parts of this whole process were finding the right calculations and finding a switch that worked with our circuit when it was in motion. From this new and improved Frisbee, my partner and I want the viewers and users of the Frisbee to look at the circuit and see the difference in the bulb brightness because of the way they are placed. We also want the viewers and users of the Frisbee to try out our Frisbee and see if it works…but be careful because the bulbs can break!

Below are pictures of my frisbee. 
photo 3
photo 3
photo 5
photo 5
photo 2
photo 2