Frustration in looks to being successful . Katherine Hunt

Personal Final Draft                                    Katherine Hunt

Gold Stream

Due- September 23,2011

My eyebrows furrowed, my eyes watered and a headache developed from thinking really hard. It all made the situation worse. After 15 minutes the task seemed impossible. Sitting in my living room at the glass table I turned to look at my wall clock.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock. The wall clock from my house seemed to tick and tock as the time passed by but yet my paper had nothing.

“What’s wrong Katherine?” asked my sister in a concerned voice.

“Nothing…”, I said in an anxious voice as I scratched my head.

“You sure? I can help you if you need assistance.”

“Yeah, I’m fine just thinking, and I don’t need help. I would have asked by now if I did.”

It was just hard to understand. In my frustration, punching walls and break pencils is an action I began to take on. As I watched the wooden parts break off onto the floor, the small wooden parts of the pencil jammed into my skin giving me a splinter and this didn’t seem so productive either.

“Failure, Failure, Failure. That’s the definition of who I am, nothing more but everything less.“

Screams of “failure” had traveled up to my mother’s room where she was sleeping on her queen size bed. She came out of her room down to the living room where I was now standing and gave me a look of concern.

“What’s wrong Katherine?”

“Nothing…Everything.”

“Make up your mind Katherine, people don’t scream for no reason.”

My sister (Jennifer) walked from upstairs down to the living room. She looked at both of us in an interested look, but mainly in disbelief. Jennifer was confused as to the way my emotions were taking over. My hands were over my head and slowly the words came out:

“ Okay, well I’ve been trying to do math for 3 hours now. Math is the worse thing that has ever happened to me. I…. hay…. haaay… HATE it. It makes no sense and it’s a bunch of useless bullshit!”

“ Katherine let your sister help you.”

“ I DON’T WANT TO, IT’S A WASTE OF LIFE!”

Pushing the chair in front of me out my way and proceeded up the steps. Once I reached the door to my room I stayed in there and cried for hours. Later on in the day my sister taught me what errors were being made on my part. In those moments it came to me that pride should never get in the way of asking for help. In the beginning, I was arrogant and brought my frustration with me, later learning that all along I could have left it behind, by just asking for help.