God hates us

​In this project we had to create monologues to sent to philadelphia young play rights. My project was done on the Westboro Baptist Church. There teachings at that church is that god hates America and Fags ought to die. They have been on the news and they picket at the funerals of soldiers that died. So here is my play (series of monologues) on the Westboro Baptist Church. 

Characters:
Stan: Appears in scene one
Justin: Appears in scene one, scene two, and scene three.
Tiffany: Appears in scene two and four
Sarah: Appears in scene four

Act one scene one:

(two people talking simultaneously. Man (stan) on right child on left (justin). Man Starts)

Stan:

So that their poster on your wall that says “god hates fags,” what does that mean?
Justin:
What does this poster mean? It means god hates fags heh I mean it says it right there...
Stan:
Right I see, and how old are you exactly, like 15?
Justin:
Uhm no I am 16
Stan:
Wow so you are almost ready to go to college uhm, have you ever had a girl friend?
Justin
heh No of course I have never had a girlfriend. My only love is for god!
Stan
Well why is that? I mean I am sure there is some girl out there that would love to date you...
Justin
Why? Because He is all I need in my life I mean he brings me peace and and hope because I know someday that he will unleash his wrath on America and make all the damn fags pay for their sins
Stan
…. This sins talk, I mean because I am not married to my girlfriend and we have a child, have I committed a sin?  I mean like, Do I have to be married with someone in order to be able to conceive a child?  However, I feel like the question should be gauged towards you, would you ever get married?
Justin
No I don’t plan on getting married I am going to stand up for god and show all the fags that god will show his wrath on you if you don’t change your ways. And yes, what you are doing is a sin and is not going to make god almighty happy. If I were you I would forgive the lord for what you have done
Stan
Never marry? That is most peculiar. And I feel as a person just like me who loves another person with all my heart, but don’t exactly have enough money to get a marriage is not committing a sin. Perhaps god, is forgive-full for me conceiving a child without a proper wed
Justin
No see you are wrong, god only shall except those that fornicate after two are married. And even then it is only so that they can have god bring new life to this treacherous land. God has a plan though, God wants to show the US that his power is not to be trifled with and that his gift of birth is not to be taken advantage of. You see god has already began to show his wrath on the US because of you damn sinners
Stan
So perhaps you are saying that around the world, those who conceive do it for pleasure and are taking advantage over gods gift to the earth. Now would you say he is giving a deserves to us by giving us these terrorists? I mean if god is so great why give us these horrible people?
Justin
Terrorist? No no they are not the terrorist, its god. God is the terrorist and he is going to show the US that being a fag and committing all of these sins is wrong
Stan
 God? So, lets so you were in twin towers as they were destroyed because of the terrorist. How would you feel that god created something that has killed such a predecessor of gods law?  I know that if I was a person that upheld god’s law and enforced it I would be upset that god would have done that to me
Justin
No god would have wanted me to die, it would have been his wish and I mean 9/11, thank god! On that day god showed America that god is something to fear. The dead soldiers are all because of you people, you fags, committing your signs. That’s why we are out there at the funerals of the dead soldiers. That’s our message, to get people to obey god’s law. If you don’t follow god’s law there is only one think for you, straight to hell heh.
Stan
You seem to find this whole situation funny. The fact that these people are going to hell. How is that in any way something funny?
Justin
It is funny because I know that god will uphold his law and that he will send you to hell. So it is reassuring to me that all of my picketing and rioting
Stan
Ah I see, so going out to these funerals where people are in sorrow and have just lost a member of their family and yelling “thank god for dead troops,” “God hates fags,” and “god hates fags” is appropriate? Okay so this is what I have to say. I feel like you have secluded yourself from the world. My children are living successful lives and they will continue to. I am done asking you questions I think I found out enough information. I will send you an issue of the magazine when it is finished. Your article will be at the end.
Justin
Ya know what i am done with this. I can’t take you on top of me like this. Just leave me alone.
Stan
I apologize, i best be on my way now (exits)

Act one scene two

(Women in her mid 30’s driving in Car and she drives by a picketing from the west boro baptist church. To the right there are people protesting that god hates America)

You should be ashamed of yourselves! (yelling out of car) (crowd of protesters yells back “you’re going to hell you whore” )
Yea well I’ll see you in hell too!
I am just appalled at the actions that this church is under going. No where did it ever say that god hates gay people no where. And to be standing on the corner and yell out that god hates fags and thank god for dead soldiers. I mean it is as if these people have no respect for people. They are ignorant. That’s what they are. They need to have a stern talking to by the city. There methods need to be banned. That poor kid doesn’t know what he is getting himself into. He must have been 5 years old and he was holding a sign saying “Thank God for 9/11.” He probably didn’t even know what that meant. Ya know what! I am going to go back and confront them. That kid shouldn't be there. No, no, (thinks) I will call child services. I will make sure that that kid gets to a safer home. (ring ring ring) Hello... Hi my name is Dorthy Ann and I just drove by Space and Thompson Ave and I noticed a picketing from the Westboro Baptist Church and I noticed a child that looked like he must have been 5.... Well no I just feel like the child is in danger of being harmed.... Well he could be harmed by some idiot that might shoot at them i don’t know!! I just feel like the child should not be there. …. Well fine by me sorry for bothering you (hang up) God damn stupid government. That poor child is going to get shot or something! I am turning around! (scene)

Act one scene three
(male in his teenage years pacing and panicking actor is Justin)  
I don’t know what to do (looks up and stops pacing), they will, they will. I don’t know what they will do (starts pacing again). I can’t let them know. If they were to know, then, then I will be exiled from the people I live with. I will be going against the words that I have so long protested against. I need to tell someone though. Who am I able to tell? Maybe I will tell my mother? No, no, I can’t do that. I know what I shall do. If I tell him then maybe he would understand. Gah, I don’t know where to start. How do I tell a man I am gay when all of my life I was against it. I was brought up thinking it was wrong and went as far as protesting to kill those who are gay. But maybe god can forgive me for being gay and revoke my sin. (walks over to the cross on the wall) Maybe god still does love me. I am going to tell brad, “Brad I need to tell you this because I feel like you understand me the best and so here it is, I’m gay.” Yes, I think of all people, brad would understand the most I mean he is after all my best friend and he doesn’t live at the church so he would understand. I am sure of it.       

Act one scene four
(recall female that drove by coming home from a long days rest)
Tiffany
Hey Sarah, can you grab me a sandwich?
Sarah
Do you want mayonnaise on it?
Tiffany
No mayonnaise please! (sits down in seat and turns on TV). Phew I haven’t sat down in so long. Long day at work, I think I am due in for some rest. Oh good god. (turns up the volume). That’s the westboro baptist church. Oh god I remember those days. I surely am glad I left that place I mean they are so full of hatred and ignorance that it is actually pretty sad. It is odd that none of them have been murdered by a drive by I mean i felt like trying to teach them a lesson after driving by them the other day.
Sarah
(Gives sandwich to Tiffany)  
Tiffany
Thanks Sarah (says to Sarah).
(says back to her self) I feel so free not being held in that threshold. Now I am able to be free about my sexuality and I live a happy life with my wife Sarah. I was a bird stuck in a cage there. I was trapped. Now I have knowledge beyond god and realize there is more to life then serving god. I also have realized what true love is. It comes in little packages like Sarah (looks back at Sarah).