HIV/AIDS: The LGBTQ Side Of Things

LGBTQHIVAIDs
LGBTQHIVAIDs

Hello. My name is Shyann Davis. In my last Blog Post I talked about what HIV/AIDS were. In this link it is just another summary of what I talk about. HIV/AIDS are a type of STD and STD stands for sexually transmitted disease. HIV stands for human immunodeficiency virus. And AIDS stand for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. You can get these sexually transmitted diseases by having sexual contact with someone. But something new I found was that HIV/AIDS are most likely found in teenagers because of using drugs, having constant unprotected sex, and mainly not getting tested to see if they have contracted the disease or not.

In this link it shows the impact of HIV/AIDS in the LGBTQ communtiy. I learned that every 1 and 6 gay or bisexual men are diagnosed with HIV. “Transgender women in certain communities have 49 times the odds of living with HIV. 19% of the LGBTQ population has HIV/AIDS but only a little bit of them tell others so that they can get treated. They are scared to tell others like their friends, family, and associates because of how they might react. Some people are homophobic, this means they dislike homosexual people. This is why part of the LGBTQ community if scared to tell others because they don’t want to be pushed aside because of their sexuality. Many of them don’t tell their friends or family members and that could cause the HIV/AIDS to get worse over time.

Gay, bisexual men, and transgender women show the highest in having HIV/AIDS in the LGBTQ community. The anti-LGBTQ group has discouraged many to not get tested. But when they did get tested they and they were found positive they were given poor treatment because of their sexual orientation. The LGBTQ gets very little funding so they can get a treatment for their HIV/AIDS. The only day of the year that lots of money and care is put into helping them get through the rest of their years is on December 1. This is the only time, and this was proven, when the LGBTQ community feels more comfortable coming out because they know that there are other people like them who are going through the same feelings they are.

The Los Angles LGBTQ Center gives each and every one of their patience the care that they deserve. This is one of the few qualified centers to treat the LGBTQ commuity. “We practice a holistic approach to treatment, helping clients manage all aspects of living with HIV, through counseling, nutritional advice, and support groups. Our Clinical Research Program offers clients the opportunity to participate in a number of clinical trials. In fact, no organization offers a wider range of specialized services for people living with HIV. In addition to physicians and nurses, our health staff includes social services caseworkers, mental health counselors, and a staff nutritionist. And our on-site pharmacy makes it easy and quick for you to fill and pick-up your prescriptions. We accept Medi-Cal, Medicare, most major insurance plans, and some HMOs. If you are uninsured, we can help you get insurance through Covered California or determine your eligibility for medical and drug assistance programs.” This is the summary for the center on their website. I searched for the best center but when I read this, I thought that this is a good helpful center for the LGBTQ communtiy because it doesn’t just give them the medicine and send them home, it also helps them get over drug abuse and medical assistance.

This is my first blog post and this is my annotated bibliography.