Hope

Today America is facing the greatest test of them all, while a happy ending looks like a lifetime away. Some are able to look past the storm and see the sunshine on our lands.  Some can still see there kids playing on the swings or learning to ride their bike. They believed in something that didn’t yet exist but they were able to imagine a happy ending. How can some believe in happy endings during hard times, what gives people hope? I interviewed a variety of different people but one answer that stuck with me the most is about hope vs faith. 

Religions have been around since human existence, it's the idea of living for something of higher power. Having faith in something that may or may not exists. In today's society, people have a choice on if they would like to practice any religion they want. Giving them the choice to pick and choose their faith. If faith is believing in a higher being to give you a good outcome and hope is believing in that outcome. What separates them?  The thing with faith is that without religious faith is nonexistent. To have faith you must believe in a high being of some sort, but if you don’t believe in such then you have no faith. While hope doesn’t need followers, it just needs oneself. It's possible to have no faith but still have hope. 
While religion is the same, hope varies for different people. Which is why hope is easier for people to connect to. 

Everyone is fighting a battle that you can not see, it can be mental or physical. One doesn't overpower the other, they are both equally destructive. But fighting a mental battle is more complex because in society we don’t know much about it. So it is rough for people that are fighting metal battles, some make it out and some don’t. Even at their lowest, they were able to push themselves to something that wasn’t there. How could they think of happiness when they are in a lot of pain? Hope doesn’t necessary mean a happy ending, for other people it could mean just to make it until the next day. We all have different hopes and goals, and that stems back to our personal and emotional life. A little girl could wish for the rain to go away so she could play at the park, while another little girl could wish her step dad to stop abusing her mother. Hope can let people see the light in their darkest hour. 

Social media plays a huge role in today's society, as it is everywhere. Technology has advanced drastically for the past couple years. People resort to social media to express feelings, opinions, photos, and moments. The biggest trend right now is Donald Trump and his family. Most people took Donalds Trump champagne as a joke due to lack of political experiences, bankruptcy, his theory of building a wall, and much more. So it was a shock to us all when he won the elections. Some were even making jokes on media saying that we had two months to assassinate Trump before the inauguration. Trump becoming president was like breaking our last beacon of hope for the next generations. Compared to previous years we’ve made amazing changes but there is still stuff we need to work on. It feels like once we get 3 steps closer, our aspirations move 8 steps ahead. While we could give up and just accept our “faith” but why give up now. We as a nation grew in so many ways, that compared to other places it seems crazy. Our problem is that we don’t accept the past nor do we recognize it because it shows a time where we weren't as good of a nation as we are now. You can not grow or have hope for a better future if you can’t acknowledge the past, that is how we grow. 

Yes Trump is our President, yes we value prisons over schools, yes we have corrupt people in law enforcement, yes we contribute to climate change, yes we do all these bad things. But that doesn't mean we should accept that, especially when we don’t want to. It may seem like your voice is not heard but there is always someone listening and being inspired or given hope. Hope is to believe in something that has yet not existed, believing that we can get through trials and error. Fight for what you believe in and others will join as well. 

Below is a Photo gallery of what hope means to these individuals: