How has the Events of this Year 2020 Affected You?

Have you ever been in your room, looking at the mirror, questioning yourself, “Why do I look like this?” or “Why is my body like this?” Being a human living in the year 2020 is pretty stressful if you ask me. On top of this stress, we put more by caring about what others may think. I am a teenage female and questioning what others have said about me has happened a lot. I chose to write an essay about how the events of this year, 2020, has changed my mindset. Learning in this quarantine most likely has happened to everyone. I have learned how to cook, wash my clothes, keep a clean room, but most importantly how to accept my body and be happy without being with friends. Fun fact, after downloading an app called Tiktok I started to see more girls with a similar body type as mine. I was very hesitant with downloading this app because everyone was addicted to it and still to this day, however, I tried to control how much I used it. Although I do not have the app on my phone anymore, seeing those girls act so confident affected and changed how I thought about my body. When I first read what we had to do I thought of ways I could express my response. I immediately thought of an essay. You must be wondering why an essay seems cliche of me to do an essay. I knew I could not do a video of me talking because I would never be able to express myself the way I wanted to. I could have done a piece of art but I think I would put too much detail and it would turn out a big mess. I have not always loved writing but after understanding more, writing is the best way for me to express myself. I could write on and on and add so much detail that it would not be too much. Naturally, I overthink, and being a teenage female does not help with that at all. A lot of people may see me and think, Well she most definitely does not have to worry about how her body looks, and that is where a lot of people are wrong. They think because I am thin that I do not worry if my body is fine or enough. I will have to admit I thought that too until I realized that I started to question if my body was enough. Not letting people’s comments get to me was hard but I recognized that all I was doing is putting more stress on myself. I hope people can also recognize this.

Coming of Age (Essay) - Esther Viturino

Fanta Dukuly (Student 2024)
Fanta Dukuly

We a lot more body positivity in our world and especially on social media where a lot of young teens are. I like how you put this quarantine has taught you to be happy even without your friends. I had to learn that too and became a much more independent person