I Tried To Save Them And You Should Too

being ruined, but we can stop this. Their sea ice is being melted and less sea ice is forming each year in a steady incline. I go over the species of polar bears and how they are being affected in an earlier post You can check out my resources for my research in my [annotated bibliography.] (https://docs.google.com/document/d/13QkjYnWT__Qj6WRhkwGklubJLEqWO2cYQ9EWsRBVaUk/edit?usp=sharing ) In the end, they need help and we can give it. This is why I decided to write about polar bears because we should help them since we are hurting them.

Many things have been done to help polar bears and many people have been helping to do so. One of the ways I see people trying to help polar bears is volunteer work for organizations that help polar bears. Another way I see help for polar bears is that organizations and people are trying to stop gas cars since they cause the sea ice to melt, people are also trying to produce less smoke by walking and using a bike instead of a car. I also see people doing fundraisers and donations to help polar bears. These are just some of the many things people are doing to help this endangered species and if you want to know more about any of this you can go to [N.F.W.] ( https://www.nwf.org/Educational-Resources/Wildlife-Guide/Mammals/Polar-Bear )or the [American Museum Of National History] (https://www.amnh.org/explore/ology/earth/ask-a-scientist-about-our-environment/how-can-we-save-polar-bears-from-extiction ), which talks about some of the ways we can save polar bears.

I decided that just writing about them was not good enough, I decided I needed to do more. I wanted to do something that was possible for as a single person could do and that was able to spread the word. So I decided to do a fundraiser and the way I would raise money would be by selling shirts. The shirts I made said “ save the polar bears” in the front with a picture of a polar bear. On the back, it said “donate to Polar Bears International”, which was the organization where I was going to donate the money to help polar bears. My first plan was to sell shirts in person in a busy area on a good day, but after thinking about it I thought that Covid-19 would have gotten in the way. I say this because if I were to sell them in person I could have gotten the Coronavirus or people might not want to buy the shirts because of the same reason of getting the virus. So I decided to sell the shirts online and have them shipped to the house of the buyer after they purchase them.

Picture of my fundraiser on Custom Ink
Picture of my fundraiser on Custom Ink

Picture of my fundraiser on Custom Ink

At last, I decided to sell the shirts through a site called Custom Ink, and it lets make it so once the fundraiser was over I was able to donate straight to the organization of my choice. I let the fundraiser go on for two weeks and I tried advertising on everything I could and try to as many friends and family as possible to buy a shirt. I even have my fundraiser mentioned in the school news. In the end, I was only able to sell 1 shirt out of the 50 I wanted to sell. I guess people didn’t have the time or money to buy a shirt, and that okay because I understand why they didn’t buy any.

Screenshot 2021-05-20 8.05.26 PM
Screenshot 2021-05-20 8.05.26 PM

Picture of my post to the school newsletter

Screenshot 2021-05-11 11.16.12 AM
Screenshot 2021-05-11 11.16.12 AM

Picture of my advertisement on Twitter

In the end, I did the best I could to help polar bears and save them and their sea ice. I feel like this project was a good thing to do and shows me that I can do more to help the things I believe in. Something that I learned about myself is that I should put my heart into the thing I want to achieve and that I can’t always do things on my own and it is okay to ask others for help. Something I feel like I could have done better on was my action, I feel like I could have also advertised my fundraiser in person to others too. Even though I failed at raising money I can still try to not use a car all the time and volunteer to help save polar bears, and you can do this too all you need to do is try.