Ian Terway - Marking Period Three

Artists Statement:

The drawings assigned for the fourth quarter proved to be quite challenging to complete. I had to go out of my own comfort zone compose these pieces because I am more accustomed to drawing in a more cartoonish fashion, while we were instructed to draw realistically. I am not really used to being told what to draw, so some of my illustrations were difficult to start, but once I did I was proud of my results. My favourite assignments were the hand sketch and my self portrait, which surprised me because they were the two I was the most resistant to composing.

Having an assignment a week proved to be quite labourious to complete. I wasn't very thrilled with the idea because it takes me a while to get inspired to draw, but I realized that this was a good way of forcing me to try new techniques in an accelerated manner.

Ms. Hull was supportive of the students and was greatly concerned with getting the students to complete their work. Even though she was understandably a little pushy with making the students work in class she was willing to compromise with her students in order to let them work comfortably. I cannot think of any ways that she could have improved on her job.

I had a lot of trouble working on my pieces in class. I was afraid of having my art judged while it was still in the creating process, and I have a very hard time getting inspired. I should have tried harder to work during school hours instead of getting fed up and not really trying at all.

Hand- Small Sketch
ITerwayHand
ITerwayHand
​Self Portrait- Small Sketch
ITerwayFace
ITerwayFace
Clear Glass- Small Sketch​ (Scanner didn't do the shading much justice.)
ITerwayGlass
ITerwayGlass
​Art History Assignment- Art In The Style of Alex Pardee

For my Art History Assignment I decided to do my artwork in the style of Alex Pardee. Pardee has been one of my favourite artists ever since my cousin introduced me to him a few years back. I adore his use of colour and his bizarre subject matter. My pieces had no real rhyme or reason behind their creation, I just based them off of inside jokes that my friends and I share. The media that I used was prismacolor markers and pen.

Here's a link to Alex Pardee's website if you want to check him out.

ITerwayLlama
ITerwayLlama
ITerwayYams
ITerwayYams
ITerwayAlien
ITerwayAlien