Imani Rothwell

​​Introduction

The idea behind this project is to show a different language we use and how use. To get us in that mind set my teacher Mr.Block has showed us different languages and had us read multiple essay's on different people stories and how different their language are. I will have to say the easy part of this project was the topic and choosing a language that is different. The hard part was the writing and trying to tie all my ideas into one paper. Overall this assignment was fun and I felt it was a great way to think about how we are different with our voices. 

PAPER

Poetry is a language that I has been passed down in my family. My great great great grandmother Leana wrote poetry, my grandmother Mildred also wrote poetry, and my mom writes poetry. As I got older I started developing a feel for poetry. It wasn’t until the sixth grade when I wrote my first poem. In my middle school we did something called dream flag. We had to write a poem about a dream or desire and paste it to a cloth and hang it like a flag. This  project was the start of me discovering my talent. It was like I entered a whole new world of writing. The whole idea of me being able to use my imagination and write on it made me fall in love with poetry. I went from writing poetry to sharing it with different people. There was this time in eighth grade where my teacher announced that we were going to have a Slam at the end of our poetry unit. This part was new to me so I raised my hand and said “Mr.Crain what is a slam.” he replied and said “ A slam is where a person or group perform a poem and get scored. The person or group with the most points win.” This was something new for me. I never had to share my poem in front of a group of people before let alone be scored on my poem. This made me nervous. I’m a very confident person and speaker but for some strange reason performing a poem brings out a shy side of me that I’m not use to seeing.

When my grade had our Slam I was sweating bullets. The only thing on my mind was do not mess up do not make a fool of yourself. Once my turn came up I did exactly that. I messed up on my poem and left the hard copy of my poem up stairs. So I had to wait and go again, but the second time I nailed it. I was a little nervous but I still did good because I came in second place. Hearing that made me want to keep writing and performing. and my teacher made us have a grade open mic share. I wanted to master this craft and keep on building. High school was the place that helped me with that. My high school have a poetry team that I joined. The poetry team is amazing too. There is diffrent people with diffrent styles that made their poem unique.  Mr. Kay our mentor  and coach was a deceptive. He loved paint pictures in people head and have them really understand the magic behind his pen. Then there was Eryn she had a flow and rhythm to her poems that always got you leaning and keeping up with what she was saying. Next Gina and Mecca they always made sure that their writing had a point across. The way they made that point the will connect it with what people can relate to. Then there was Sina I She had a mixture of them. She had painted pictures, had you want to hear more and connected with the audience. From these different styles I picked up on a lot. I also learned that my style is different. I like to get to the point. I’m good at not over extending a metaphor in a way that’s good but in another way there a something that need to have that extra description to give it more life. I started working on that to perform my first poem in highschool. It was October 15th I was in 9th grade. There was a poetry slam going on at a place called tha Ratonda. I had made the decision to do open mic because I did not want to be scored on my poem.  The stage lights was only on you and you really couldn’t see in the audience. The Mic was set center stage and the host Greg Corbin would announce people names. It was that very moment when He said “Now up to the stage Imani Rothwell reading her poem P.O.W” That was the moment that I felt like dying. I never read in front of strangers. Then my grandmom and dad was in the audience that added extra stress. So I walked slowly towards the stage with a million thought running through my head. My first thought was run Imani your always getting yourself into something. Then My next thought was stupid what made you think you could do this. Next thing I know I was at the stage standing there. Looking for a point I can stare at to comfort myself so I won’t mess up. Then I started my first line  of my poem,

“In my head I have on this orange cotton jump suit

With the words P.O.W written across it

I’m a Prisoner of Words

Waiting for my thought to be said

But instead they are locked away in my lonely head

I should start to speak and stop staying silent

But every time I do my words stay quiet”  I was loud reading this poem and after looking k at the video I was so nervous that I was not even standing near the Mic. After looking back on it I realized I gained more confidence but in order to gain more I will have to start reading performing often. I would perform for  my family

A couple of months went by and I started to change the topics I write on. I would right on drug dealing and the streets. So I put myself in a character that is going through a tuff time and just needs God. I called that poem “Calling God”  This poem I took it straight from the heart. I did not right for some points or for a praise. I wrote it because at that time I was feeling upset and I need my pen a paper to play my therapist. In poetry club I told Mr.Kay that I wanted to share a poem. He said to me “Alright well lets get the group in a circle.” They he told the group we going to start open share with me. Before reading the poem I explained that this is a personal piece and I really do not want feedback then I began my poem,

“Today I called god

But he forwarded my call to voicemail

So I left him a message in prayer

He hasn’t returned my call since

So I sent him a text message

Giving him my prayer

I started off in the name of Jesus Christ

But he never replied

Now I need the address

To talk to my heavenly father

To let out all my sorrows.”

That was the beginning but these next lines are my favorite lines in this poem that I’m proud of are, “I smile ear to ear So my cheeks can choke back my tears and I laugh
So my laughter can smother my crying” and
“I need to speak to my father
But he is not answering.
Does anyone have his number?
Can someone give me an address?
I asked my preacher and he says he has no answers I
looked through the bible
But I see no number
I need to speak to my father
He is the only one that listens”

During the slam I scored an average of 9 out of 10 from 4 different judges.

During these different experiences I wanted to aim bigger and I did just that.

May 5th 2011I shared a poem in front of Erin Gruewell the  teacher of the freedom writers. While she was talking to us she started talking about a student of hers that came to school on the first day on house arrest. This reminded me of my poem I wrote that had to do with a teen who was arrested but I decide to put a spin on it and make them innocent. I thought that I could share this with the group so I got up from my seat and went over to Mr.Kay and asked him was it ok. He said sure and before I knew It I was performing my poem.The name of it was “Have you ever.” Before I started reading it I looked down at my laptop back up to the audience licked my lips and I began

“Have you ever had your innocents taking away from you

Your child hood scrapped up like gum

And you were holding on to the rest that was left  

Pride dangling on your tongue

Because you’re to strong to swallow it

People constantly looking

Becoming objects in your rear view mirror

As they appear closer on your secrets

Stressing Can never get any rest

Because of those flashbacks

Have you ever Locked your secrets in titanium plates

Making sure they never escape
Have you ever felt like your tear duct was glued?
Cause tears wasn’t flowing through
And you just wanted to cry.” The ending lines were,
“Have you ever Wanted a MRI scan for your brain
Just to make sure your Optical lobe was working
Cause you just looked at your life
And said
Dang.
Have you ever had your innocents taking away from you
Your child hood scrapped up like gum
Pride dangling on your tongue
Because you’re to strong to swallow it
Erin Gruwell loved my poem. She loved it so much that she wants to publish it on her website and even wanted to take a picture with me.
From these different experiences have encountered in my life I realized two things. One poetry has been a gift god gave me and Two poetry can save lives. Now when anyone ask me what’s a language I speak that’s different, I tell them poetry because the craft and putting words together to describe something in a new way that people can understand,  My name is Imani Rothwell and at a young age I discovered a new language called Poetry.