Independant reading Book review (Q4 BM)

For my independent reading choice, I chose "The evolution of Calpurnia Tate" by Jacqueline Kelly. It was a surprisingly captivating book. Kelly incorporated a lot of problems young women faced back in the 19th century which interested me because the wide difference form then to now.

Victoria Yarbrough

December 27, 2010

English Class  The Evolution of Culpurnia Tate.

Book Review.

Book: The Evolution Of Calpurnia Tate.

Author: Jacqueline Kelly

Winner of the ‘Newberry Honor’

Calpurnia Virginia Tate is the only girl out of seven brothers growing up in rural Texas at the turn of the last century. (1899) Calpurnia’s mother is trying to teach her how to become a young woman so that she can find a suitable husband when she gets older. However, Calpurnia would rather spend her time observing insects, animals, and plants. She wants to become a scientist, but is restricted by the sexist ways of her town and family. The only person that believes in her and wants to help her is her grandfather. He is a naturalist him self and sees potential in the young Calpurnia. As their relationship grows, Calpurnia’s grandfather teaches her how to become an avid naturalist. He believes that young women should be educated academically and should not have to worry about things like ‘posture’ and ‘sewing’.

Personally, my favorite character would be the main character Calpurnia, seeing things from her point of view really hit home for me. It shows her feelings towards a situation that may be looked at differently from someone else’s point of view. It is interesting reading the way she feels about situations. This book is a prime example of the saying “Just because you are a girl does not mean that you should not pursue your dreams”.

I my self can partially relate to Calpurnia. When I was younger people would tell me “All a woman needs to learn how to do is cook and clean and she’ll be alright”. That enraged me even at a young age. Women have so much more potential and can do anything that a man can. I love science which is another reason why this book spoke to me, I too like Calpurnia, love to look at living organisms and study them.

I liked this book. The author did a really good job of emphasizing that girls don’t have to learn about the Domestic aspects of life to succeed. I felt the need for a romantic interest in this book, it seems like a challenge to fit one in this particular story. However, if there was one, that would make me appreciate it the book even more. Also, science remained one of the main ideas throughout the book; I think that will sit well with science lovers who are looking for a thrill.

I would recommend this book to other people. However, the book may only take to girls who are older than 10 years old. It is a fun way to learn a lesson about pursuing your dreams and exceeding past expectations.

Revision:

Victoria Yarbrough

May 19, 2011

Book Report.

Book: The Evolution Of Calpurnia Tate.

Author: Jacqueline Kelly

Winner of the ‘Newberry Honor’

Calpurnia Virginia Tate is the only girl out of seven brothers growing up in rural Texas at the turn of the last century. (1899) Calpurnia’s mother is trying to teach her how to become a young woman so that she can find a suitable husband when she gets older. However, Calpurnia would rather spend her time observing insects, animals, and plants. She wants to become a scientist, but is restricted by the sexist ways of her town and family. The only person that believes in her and wants to help her is her grandfather. He is a naturalist him self and sees potential in the young Calpurnia. As their relationship grows, Calpurnia’s grandfather teaches her how to become an avid naturalist. He believes that young women should be educated academically and should not have to worry about things like ‘posture’ and ‘sewing’.  The idea of a girl’s academic success being more important than her domestic abilities became the main conflict.

I liked this book. The author did a really good job of emphasizing that girls don’t have to learn about the domestic aspects of life to succeed. I felt the need for a romantic interest in this book, it seems like a challenge to fit one in this particular story. However, if there was one, that would make me appreciate it the book even more. Also, science remained one of the main ideas throughout the book; I think that will sit well with science lovers who are looking for a thrill.

I would recommend this book to other people. However, the book may only take to girls who are older than 10 years old and younger than 18 . It is a fun way to learn a lesson about pursuing your dreams and exceeding past expectations and sexist stereotypes.