Independent Reading Project: Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury

Unlocked is meritorious novel by the Christian author, Karen Kingsbury. It is a modern day story into the lives of the two families. This story contains issues that take place today, such as autism, bullying, and acceptance. Unlocked is a tale of family struggle, but also miracles in the simplest things. This novel is a story of love, faith, struggle, and the supernatural. Unlocked was first released back in October of 2010. 

My book review below in pdf format:
English BMQ4 FINAL

For my creative piece, I made PECS cards. PECS stands for Picture Exchange Communication System. PECS cards are used as a form of communication for people with autism and special needs. The person just simply holds up a card that explains what he/she is feeling. For instance, if that person is sleepy, he/she would hold up a PEC card with a picture of a bed. In Unlocked, one of the main characters, Holden Harris, used PECS cards to communicate. When he wanted to watch a movie, he showed his mother a card with a picture of a television on it. When he wanted raisins, he held up a card with a pictures of raisins on it. I made several PECS cards that Holden used in the book, such as ones that said, “I love music, I see, I hear, Movie, I pray, and Dance.” 

My PECS cards below:
PECS cards
Here's the trailer of the book (P.S. Not made by me): 

Or click on this link