Influences of the Future Self

Introduction

In this essay I will be discussing how our current identity affects our future self. I provide clear evidence and give analysis to support my statement. 

Essay

We are all born into lifestyles without choice, some are more fortunate than others. Individuals are grouped based on their environment, their economic status and educational background. Those of a higher social class have more opportunities, while those of a lesser social class do not. Our future identities are influenced by our present realities.

A reference source about the consequences of social class mentioned “Social class refers to the the grouping of individuals in a stratified hierarchy based on wealth, income, education, occupation, and social network (though other factors are sometimes considered). One's position in the social class hierarchy may impact, for example, health, family life, education, religious affiliation, political participation, and experience with the criminal justice system.” Social class plays a major role in everyone’s life and determines how they live.

Environment is affected by social class because one lives where they can afford to. In a low-income community there will be a list of negative things that affect children. The adults living in that community won’t have the luxury of high paying occupations. No matter the location, children are exposed to things that will shape and influence their decisions. If violence is constantly occurring in a neighborhood the child will adapt and begin to think it’s normal, same goes for the drugs, gangs, pollution, etc. Aspirations of self, change in different communities because of different opportunities and the accessibility to information. A child in a low income neighborhood is more likely to attend their neighborhood school and because it is a low income neighborhood the school will be affected too.

Education is heavily affected by environment, Viana Y. Turcios-Cotto and Stephanie Milan talk about the differences between adolescents in education in their paper “Racial/Ethnic Differences in the Educational Expectations of Adolescents: Does Pursuing Higher Education Mean Something Different to Latino Students Compared to White and Black Students?” “There are striking disparities in the academic achievement of American youth. In 2008, approximately 81% of White students graduated from high school within four years, or on time, compared to only 62% of Black students, and 64% of Latino students. Of students who graduated, 72% of White, 56% of Black, and 64% of Latino students immediately enrolled in some form of higher education. Among students who did go on to postsecondary education, students of color were more likely to attend junior or community college and less likely to complete their degrees.” Social status plays a part in these statistics, there’s a possibility that the reason for low percentages amongst non-white students is lack of funds.

Experiences can help mold identities and make a person who they are and adds to what they know. There are events and experiences that people go through to make them feel like they aren’t good enough. Present realities shape our future identities in multiple ways that some aren’t aware of. To accept, come to the realization, and overcome the obstacles set against us is the purpose. We can choose who we want to be but we can’t change who we are. Accept, love, and embrace yourself the way you are.

Work Cited

Source: Boundless. “Consequences of Social Class.” Boundless Sociology Boundless, 26 May. 2016. Retrieved 18 Jan. 2017 from https://www.boundless.com/sociology/textbooks/boundless-sociology-textbook/stratification-inequality-and-social-class-in-the-u-s-9/the-impacts-of-social-class-77/consequences-of-social-class-454-8542/

Cotto, Turcios. "Racial/Ethnic Differences in the Educational Expectations of Adolescents: Does Pursuing Higher Education Mean Something Different to Latino Students Compared to White and Black Students?" Journal of Youth and Adolescence. U.S. National Library of Medicine, Sept. 2013. Web. 18 Jan. 2017.