Intersectional Feminism Film Review

Ryan King

Intersectional Feminism

Film Review

Over time films have shown a common theme of having women assume either love interest roles or subservient roles to men.Having seen so many different films showcasing woman as only being necessary for these kinds of positions people like Alison Bechdel and the fictional Mako Mori have created test to analyze how often that women are actually represented in more diverse roles other than being a tool used by men to achieve a stereotypical goal.These test exist to give directors an idea of what modern consumers want to see, strong independent women who are not constantly fixating over the attention of a man.

Frozen is a popular Disney movie about the relationship between two sisters and and their roads to self acceptance.Many people are very excited about the film because this is the first time in disney history where we see two strong and self sufficient women who do not rely on men to accomplish goals and have their own interesting character arcs.Every other time we are introduced to females with these credentials they are usually portrayed to either be a villain or antagonist character, but Frozen changes that stereotype.Frozen is one of my favorite movies because director Jennifer Lee made sure that the film did more than just pass the Bechdel test.She made sure that everyone watching the movie would be able to see a piece of themselves in one of the main characters.Lee accomplishes this goal by changing the entire narrative of princesses being saved by their Prince Charming,Instead she chooses to have Elsa save Anna with a true act of love rather than just true loves kiss.

3) Create your own anti-gender bias film test, describe the criteria for your test and explain why you believe it is important for a film to meet this criteria. Analyze a different movie that meets the criteria for your test.

The film must have the following to pass the King Test

• Two named people of color

• Who don't feed into stereotypical behavior

For the movie “the Place beyond the Pines” I would say that this movie does pass both the King test and the Bechdel test.This movie is about a thief who steals to support his small family and his partners antics to stay above the law.The movie takes a sudden shift when half way through Ryan Gosling is killed and his estranged girlfriend and son live their lives.the movie gets really interesting when Ryan's son and the cop who accidentally killed him while on the job wind up in the same highschool and start to piece together stories their families have shared with them before realizing that his bestfriends dad killed his dad. I feel like this movie has passed my test because the director takes really interesting measures to make the cast very diverse.Instead of having minorities be the theives in the movie they become more of protagonist aids and still remain very critical to the movie.